Jotul F3 seals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mattmac

May 25, 2020
Tasmania Australia
Today at 3:41 PM
I’m in process of refurbishing an old jotul F3 ( 1988) which I took apart ages ago when removed it from room for renovation and plan to fit new seals but can’t recall what was there before - I assume the 2 x side plates require rope seal and the top plate - may seem like a silly question but which channel does the sealing rope go in - I assume the channels that are a bit ‘gunked’ up in pics ?

F5747ED6-BD76-4505-AAD7-48226C2C6B99.jpeg 325E574D-534F-479B-8724-FCF1B307561C.jpeg 5A052BD9-86B6-4D52-9036-23ACBA8A830B.jpeg

No rope in the side channels, the grooves are for stove cement. The top however does get a gasket.

Reactions: Mattmac
Yes, definitely around the base joint too. Use a generous amount. Wipe up the ooze on the outside with a damp rag. Finger trowel it smooth on the inside.

Yes, 8mm should work. 3/8" is typical for Jotul tops and what is listed in the #3 manual.

I know there’s a rope seal kit available for door/glass but anyone know the rope size as doesn’t state it on kit I see on web - I’m just going to get some rope seal at hardware

I’m trying to work out what size rope seal suits my heater - it’s seems to be a series 3 type door with no draft wheel which states 1/4 in door abs 3/16 for glass but others that look very similar are 3/8 ans 1/4 ?

The gaskets varied depending on whether the F3 was catalytic or not. Your stove may have the gaskets sizes that were also used on the F3CB here in the states. If so, this is the sizing.

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 8.24.44 AM.png