Jotul f400 smoke issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JB Warman

Oct 5, 2021
Newport Center, VT
I am looking at buying a Jotul f400, and saw some concerns in reviews that the stove had issues with excessive smoke in the fire box and getting out. Does anyone know if this is a stove issues or a poor chimney/draft issue? The stove I am looking at is a completely refurbished used unit that the seller has no experience having used.

Usually smoke spilling back into the room is a draft issue. I've never heard of stove being specifically known for that. I haven't used this particular model but I've heard all good things for that stove. Jotul as a whole is a very good company that makes exceptional stoves. Aside from their F500 v3 model, I haven't heard of any issues with their stoves. I have their F45 model and it's been great last season.

Reactions: stoveliker
Usually smoke spilling back into the room is a draft issue. I've never heard of stove being specifically known for that. I haven't used this particular model but I've heard all good things for that stove. Jotul as a whole is a very good company that makes exceptional stoves. Aside from their F500 v3 model, I haven't heard of any issues with their stoves. I have their F45 model and it's been great last season.
Is has a shallow fire box. I have run two, one rear vent on 30’ and one top vent on 15’. Both straight runs no bends. The top vent spills less smoke. That said it was not a lot. I was trying to find a second. For my downstairs. Good stove. Recommend top vent at least 15’.

My VC Intrepid was setup to rear vent and I had some trouble setting up the draft on a cold start. Lighting at the back of the stove took a few tries before the flue warmed up and was a major pain sometimes. It had a top load feature which surprisingly kept most of the smoke in even when there was negative pressure. I had two 90* double wall pipe that went up about 4ft before going out to a two story class A triple wall SS outside the house. If the stove was out for longer than a day I had to reverse the negative pressure before starting it.

Our F400 was rear vented to an elbow and straight up through the roof with a 20’ flue. This was done to increase wall clearance. The stove did not spill smoke when the outside temperature was <45. Above that temp I had to open the door quite slowly to avoid smoke spillage.

As EbS noted the firebox is wide and shallow. With a top vented connection on a 16’ + flue it should be work ok.

I am looking at buying a Jotul f400, and saw some concerns in reviews that the stove had issues with excessive smoke in the fire box and getting out. Does anyone know if this is a stove issues or a poor chimney/draft issue? The stove I am looking at is a completely refurbished used unit that the seller has no experience having used.
16’ chimney with (2) 45s and ran one for 12 years; give it dry wood and all is good. When above 40 deg. f open door slowly.

we have a f400 open door slowly, and make sure you don't have a backdraft. backdraft mostly at warm outside temps or my furnace or dryer was just on, once burning, no real issue. Open window for a couple if needed to equalize pressure,