Jotul F400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cpmassage4me

Dec 14, 2017
Purcellville, BA
My Jotul is burning way too fast. I have had the so called “experts out” to see what they can find. I am
The keeper of the stove. She’s my baby. It’s not the damper, the ash box closes perfectly. How can I get some real help? I used to be able to load her up, throttle her down, and have a nice even heat. Now she burns through wood like crazy. The room gets way too hot and I need to open windows. Is it possible there is a crack in one of the internal plates? I really need someone who know the Jotul inside and out. Any thoughts

Take a dollar bill and close the door to the stove on it, then try to pull the bill out,
if it slides out easy then your gaskets are worn and need to be changed.
do this all the way around each door.

I went about 10 years on my f400 before I changed the door gaskets. Easy fix. Ash door isn't in need yet, (less usage) maybe this spring when 'm bored. Great stove by the way.

Is this the first season with the stove? Could be cooler outside temps are increasing your draft. Happening to me these days and have to use the damper much more.
My Jotul is burning way too fast. I have had the so called “experts out” to see what they can find. I am
The keeper of the stove. She’s my baby. It’s not the damper, the ash box closes perfectly. How can I get some real help? I used to be able to load her up, throttle her down, and have a nice even heat. Now she burns through wood like crazy. The room gets way too hot and I need to open windows. Is it possible there is a crack in one of the internal plates? I really need someone who know the Jotul inside and out. Any thoughts

No. I’ve had this stove for many years and have never had a problem. That’s why this issue is unusual. I’ve replaced the gaskets, the ash pan latch has been replaced and the damper was replaced. I’m beginning to wonder if one of the internal plates is cracked.

Reactions: Nigel459