Jotul f45 reviews- what would you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
We are looking to move soon-getting some things lined up and could potentially be into something new within a couple of months. Will be transporting my firewood supply to new house. Looking to downsize to between 1100 and 1500 sq ft. Most definitely want to continue with wood heat. Assuming that we would switch out stove with whatever we would be buying, if there was even a stove there in the first place. Looking at the Jotul f45. I’d like to purchase the stove ASAP even before house is bought bc I know that supply is unpredictable now. Not exactly sure what we’re moving into,but I would imagine the f45 would heat that square footage well assuming it has any degree of insulation. For you guys who have the f45, what are your thoughts/reviews on this stove?

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
I’d wait. For the only reason that if you top vent the f45 you have to take the back panel off to get the baffle out. Fine if it’s a free stand stove but if it’s installed in a fireplace it would be nearly impossible without pulling the stove out. Could always rear vent it to a T but then it’s sticking out much further. Too many unknowns for me commit to a stove. Storage moving installing. I’d be looking for a tax credit eligible stove.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
I’d wait. For the only reason that if you top vent the f45 you have to take the back panel off to get the baffle out. Fine if it’s a free stand stove but if it’s installed in a fireplace it would be nearly impossible without pulling the stove out. Could always rear vent it to a T but then it’s sticking out much further. Too many unknowns for me commit to a stove. Storage moving installing. I’d be looking for a tax credit eligible stove.
Why would you need to get the baffle out?

Reactions: jotulf45v2

jotulf45v2

Sep 22, 2021
CT Shoreline
I got mine in December 2020 and have no complaints. The air control is very responsive, glass gets dirty every ~6 weeks or so based on 24/7 burns of mixed woods and cleaning it is pretty straight forward. I have a top vent (I don't think the f45 can be rear vented, unlike the f55) and removing the top plate is annoying to access the bolts but it makes cleaning a cinch. I'm happy with the length of wood I can put in, at an angle I can fit ~19". Fire bricks are still intact. Gasket on the door is starting to decompress - the glass was getting dirty on the bottom left corner which indicated a slight air leak. I'm planning to adjust the spacer when the season starts. I imagine a spacer will need to be removed every season until a new gasket is required.

Reactions: MR. GLO

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
Why would you need to get the baffle out?
If it’s is a top vent fireplace install to clean the flue bottom up to get access to the flue or top down to clean out all the creosote that you swept down.

Evan

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The infor is in the manual on page 25. Based on these instructions it looks like the stove needs to be pulled out to maintain the top of the baffle unless it projects far enough onto the hearth to provide easy top access or if the lintel is substantially higher than the stove top.