Jotul f500 burn tube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ady5008

Oct 1, 2019
Central PA
Occasionally when loading my f500 I'll bump the rear burn tube and it falls out. It's no big deal, I just use a glove and slide it back into it's hole in the manifold, provided I notice it before the fire is going good. But is it supposed to be screwed down there, or held in place with furnace cement?

There are 2 bolts that go through each side of the manifold. They are Allen keyed I had one loosen and fall out. Had to take off the top to get it back. Not sure if they squeeze the tubes in place or what.

How do you take the top off?
Three bolts to get the top off, two in the front you can get at pretty easy through the front door in front of the baffle, one in the back middle that can be tricky. Easiest way is unhook the chimney and reach in through the flu collar with a socket wrench, tricker way is to take the baffle bored/blanket out and use a socket w an extension and try to get it through the firebox.

Now if you take the whole secondary air system out,/apart, remember to re cement it back together, and cement it to the back of the stove when you bolt it in.

Reactions: clancey
The fact that the tube falls out means that the secondsry manifold is warped and needs replacement. They sell the whole thing, tubes and all, as a unit only, and is a common wear item in 500's. You'll notice improved performance once it's done as that leaky secondary is likely causing overfiring/ reduced burn times also may damage other parts like top and baffle.

Three bolts to get the top off, two in the front you can get at pretty easy through the front door in front of the baffle, one in the back middle that can be tricky. Easiest way is unhook the chimney and reach in through the flu collar with a socket wrench, tricker way is to take the baffle bored/blanket out and use a socket w an extension and try to get it through the firebox.

Now if you take the whole secondary air system out,/apart, remember to re cement it back together, and cement it to the back of the stove when you bolt it in.
Which cement do you recommend for the secondary air tubes and manifold?