Jotul f500 crack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

InVermont1

Sep 22, 2018
Southern Vermont
I was doing my stove cleaning and when I removed the oval plate on top I found a crack that goes about 2 inches into the top. When cleaning to attempt a repair I found another one that almost crosses it at a T. Never overfired or mishandled in any way. 9 year old stove. Has there been any reports of these stoves having some casting problems? Crack starts right where the screw hold down is underneath. Never overtightened because I removed the screws when I first got the stove. Been burning would for 40 years and have never had this happened before. Thinking on drilling to stop the crack and patching for this season. New top is pretty expensive.
899C5435-515D-4D9A-BD48-235EBBA026F6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard of some cracks in the base . . . often tied into folks who were burning with the ash pan door open resulting in a forge like situation. I do believe this is the first I've heard of a crack at the top. What does the baffle and insulation look like?

Heard of some cracks in the base . . . often tied into folks who were burning with the ash pan door open resulting in a forge like situation. I do believe this is the first I've heard of a crack at the top. What does the baffle and insulation look like?

Everything looks fine. I was on this forum when I first got this stove. Actually learned a lot from reading your posts. I gently vacuum insulation every year with a small tube shoved into my vacuum hose. No rips or rough spots. I don’t do ash pan fire ups either.

Reactions: firefighterjake
View attachment 230029 I was doing my stove cleaning and when I removed the oval plate on top I found a crack that goes about 2 inches into the top. When cleaning to attempt a repair I found another one that almost crosses it at a T. Never overfired or mishandled in any way. 9 year old stove. Has there been any reports of these stoves having some casting problems? Crack starts right where the screw hold down is underneath. Never overtightened because I removed the screws when I first got the stove. Been burning would for 40 years and have never had this happened before. Thinking on drilling to stop the crack and patching for this season. New top is pretty expensive.
same problem here. i have two cracks on the top, one at the front of the oval and the other at the back of the oval. my thermometers have never indicated an over fire. do you have any information to share? thanks!

jotul cracks.jpgjotul crack 2.jpgjotul crack 1.jpg

Not that weird actually, 600's also are succeptable. Not super expensive ( black ones anyway) and essy to replace.

Cracks on the top are not that common. Look for possible air leaks at the top of the door gasket and/or in the stove top gasket near the cracks.
I think the warranty is 5 yrs for the cast iron parts.

Thinking on drilling to stop the crack and patching for this season. New top is pretty expensive.
Yes, drill a small hole at the end of the crack and examine the stove top gasket for leakage in that area. I would also consider pushing in some high-temp epoxy into both sides of the crack after cleaning it out.

J-B Weld 37901 ExtremeHeat High Temperature Resistant Metallic Paste

I also have cracks on my f500 top
Been there a few years. Mentioned it to the dealer and he said to watch it. Said if it gets worse get a new top.

I have the exact cracks in the exact same spots , is it safe to use and what did anyone do , fix it or buy new top plate , thinking of trying jb weld extreme heat on the cracks . Any help would be appreciated!

I also have cracks on my f500 top
Been there a few years. Mentioned it to the dealer and he said to watch it. Said if it gets worse get a new

I was doing my stove cleaning and when I removed the oval plate on top I found a crack that goes about 2 inches into the top. When cleaning to attempt a repair I found another one that almost crosses it at a T. Never overfired or mishandled in any way. 9 year old stove. Has there been any reports of these stoves having some casting problems? Crack starts right where the screw hold down is underneath. Never overtightened because I removed the screws when I first got the stove. Been burning would for 40 years and have never had this happened before. Thinking on drilling to stop the crack and patching for this season. New top is pretty expensive.
View attachment 230029
What did you ever do about this , I have the exact same cracks , thanks!

I have the exact cracks in the exact same spots , is it safe to use and what did anyone do , fix it or buy new top plate , thinking of trying jb weld extreme heat on the cracks . Any help would be appreciated!
If the top is cracked, then most likely the bottom is to. You should repair the stove by replacing with the correct factory replacement parts.

Jb weld will not hold, because it will expand at a different rate than the cast, which will just open the crack up again.

If the top is cracked, then most likely the bottom is to. You should repair the stove by replacing with the correct factory replacement parts.

Jb weld will not hold, because it will expand at a different rate than the cast, which will just open the crack up again.
Thanks , I ordered a new top from rocky mountain stove company for $365 , figured the jb weld wouldn't hold up for that reason .