Jotul F500 V3 Oslo conundrum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
you folks seem to know much more about the Jøtul F500 v3 than i do...
i've been burning it since installed late December 2020.
Yes, at first, i did have control problems for a brief period, but those have since "disappeared" and the stove seems to be burning "in a groove" since.
I added nothing to control my high temps... but from the tips i picked up from this forum, i.e., not emptying the ash pan, not opening the front glass door (loading / burning from the side), the F500 has burned efficiently and consistently. Almost like a set it and forget it appliance.
Before having the Jøtul installed, we burned a VC since 1992(?) without worries. And I expect the very same from this F500.

Reactions: EbS-P
you folks seem to know much more about the Jøtul F500 v3 than i do...
i've been burning it since installed late December 2020.
Yes, at first, i did have control problems for a brief period, but those have since "disappeared" and the stove seems to be burning "in a groove" since.
I added nothing to control my high temps... but from the tips i picked up from this forum, i.e., not emptying the ash pan, not opening the front glass door (loading / burning from the side), the F500 has burned efficiently and consistently. Almost like a set it and forget it appliance.
Before having the Jøtul installed, we burned a VC since 1992(?) without worries. And I expect the very same from this F500.
If you cover the two unregulated air holes in the Ash House with a magnet you will be able to clean the ashes out without worry. By letting the ashes fill up the tray and bottom of the stove, you are effectively blocking those air holes. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

By covering those holes with magnets, my stove has gone from a roaring lion to a purring feline cat.

Reactions: Todd
If you cover the two unregulated air holes in the Ash House with a magnet you will be able to clean the ashes out without worry. By letting the ashes fill up the tray and bottom of the stove, you are effectively blocking those air holes. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

By covering those holes with magnets, my stove has gone from a roaring lion to a purring feline cat.
Where exactly are these holes located?

in december, we replaced our near 30 yr old vermont castings encore defiant with a jotul f500 v3 oslo stove.
we really like the jotul so far, and i don't see a reason why that'd change anytime soon.

however, i am stumped on one function of this new stove...
the primary air control lever on this stove can be completely in the closed position (to the far left side) yet the fire still burns perfectly.
during start-up, i can leave it at the closed position and it'll fire up fine.

the video shows how nice the fire burns with it "shut down".

the temp on stove top is approx 400ºF, on the flue 20" above at the same time is about 375ºF
doesn't seem like this is normal... like this shouldn't happen.
seems like there may be an air leak somewhere...
the ash door is completely closed, haven't emptied the ashes in three weeks (burn everyday, all weekend long).
the side and front doors are closed completely.

in 2 hours, i can burn approximately 35 to 40 pounds of dry oak in this closed position...
am i missing something... ??

I've had the 500 v3 for 2 yrs and found the same issue. Against the advice of the dealer...I installed a butterfly damper in the flue.
Solved the issue. Now, I fill the firebox with wood at 10pm, shut down front air, close damper...at 6am all I do is open the air up and BAM...away she goes again. I still can't get the stove top above 400...but it works to heat our whole downstairs.

Reactions: JamesGuido and Todd

I have done this when you posted this, nunyabinis, thanks for a great idea! works very well.
I've had the 500 v3 for 2 yrs and found the same issue. Against the advice of the dealer...I installed a butterfly damper in the flue.
Solved the issue. Now, I fill the firebox with wood at 10pm, shut down front air, close damper...at 6am all I do is open the air up and BAM...away she goes again. I still can't get the stove top above 400...but it works to heat our whole downstairs.
i no longer have issues with our F500... has been burning very well, and very happy with it.