Jotul F55 Carrabassett w/ Morso glass hearth plate: Install complete!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That looks fantastic! Almost wants to make me take out our insert and put in a freestanding stove. Did you do the work yourself?

Thanks! I did take this project on myself. Just started early, took it slow and researched the heck out of everything before doing each step.

How is the stove working out for you this winter?

Wife and I are both loving it. Neither of us grew up heating with wood. This has been our warmest Winter. We've been able to heat the house with no supplemental heat source. House averages 71 on the thermostat 35' from the stove. Family comes over just to get warmed to the bone in the bean bag chair in front of it.

Being brand new to this we didnt start with all 3 year seasoned wood. We burned through our seasoned hickory 2 weeks ago. We're into our sub par wood at this point. But the stove handles it just fine. Not getting 10 hr burns now. More like 7 hours burning 1 year seasoned oak. The F55 is very forgiving with sub par wood and the temp extremes it can handle with no damage. And the large firebox defies its small footprint requirements. We have no regrets.

We're into our sub par wood at this point. But the stove handles it just fine. Not getting 10 hr burns now. More like 7 hours burning 1 year seasoned oak. The F55 is very forgiving with sub par wood and the temp extremes it can handle with no damage.
Be sure to watch the chimney for build up and definitely have it cleaned at the end of the season.

Reactions: 7acres
Any difference cleaning in April after burning is over or September, before burning begins again?

Greetings! We are planning to use a Morso glass plate for our ember protection with our F55. I would love to hear from where you purchased your hearth pad and how you like it now 2 1/2 years later.

Greetings! We are planning to use a Morso glass plate for our ember protection with our F55. I would love to hear from where you purchased your hearth pad and how you like it now 2 1/2 years later.

Greetings, Rusnakes! We're about to go into our 4th season with it and it's still the best decision we made other than buying the lovely F55 itself. It can take abuse. I can testify to that. Our two boys ride their tricycles around the house routinely and they run over top of the hearth plate all the time. No cracks or dings out of it whatsoever. It does have fine scratches but nothing you would notice unless you got down on all fours looking for them.

We ordered ours through our local Morso dealer The Fire House Casual Living Store. Morso only ships via box truck with a lift gate so the shipping will make your eyes pop out. But spend the money once and forget about it. The curvature on the front edge of the glass plate matches the top curvature of the F55 door. I could go on and on. It's the perfect complement to the F55, IMHO.

Reactions: Rusnakes
Thanks so much for all of the info, 7 acres! I have had a devil of a time finding anyone who sells the glass hearth plate. I ended up calling a stove store in Maine (I'm in Michigan), just to even get some basic info on the item. They said they only take delivery of the item to their store and you have to pick it up there. Our closest Morso dealer is about 75 miles away, which would be a distance to travel to get it here from their store. I will be contacting them tomorrow when they are open to see if the heavens will align themselves and gift us with the chance to purchase this product.

Many thanks on the feedback. It helps us tremendously with this purchase!

Greetings, Rusnakes! We're about to go into our 4th season with it and it's still the best decision we made other than buying the lovely F55 itself. It can take abuse. I can testify to that. Our two boys ride their tricycles around the house routinely and they run over top of the hearth plate all the time. No cracks or dings out of it whatsoever. It does have fine scratches but nothing you would notice unless you got down on all fours looking for them.

We ordered ours through our local Morso dealer The Fire House Casual Living Store. Morso only ships via box truck with a lift gate so the shipping will make your eyes pop out. But spend the money once and forget about it. The curvature on the front edge of the glass plate matches the top curvature of the F55 door. I could go on and on. It's the perfect complement to the F55, IMHO.

7 acres - I just found this thread as I'm looking at a potential f55 install. I need a rear exit stove and I really like the simple design of the stove. One quick question for ya....after 4 yrs is the stove paint/finish faded or because it's a convention design with a welded steel firebox does that limit the abuse? Thanks....great install btw.

Good question. The answer is no. The finish has not degraded at all. When you break in the stove the somewhat wet / matte look of the paint on your brand new stove will start to take on a dry look as the mineral oil cooks off. It changes from a true black and lightens up ever so slightly. But it's not a problem. It's just how it works. When wood stove season is over my wife coats the whole stove in with a very light coating mineral oil to restore that deep black look again. When the cold weather comes back and we have our first fire of the season we just open the windows as the mineral oil cooks off again.