Jotul F600 drafts downward under certain circumstances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sykesman

Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2010
Cape Cod
Thanks for your advice.

Stove works very well most of the time. Sometimes when I want to light it up, I cannot get the draft to go up the chimney, cold air flows down and inside.

6" single wall pipe up 18", 90d bend into adapter for 8" insulated steel flue (5 years old), 90d bend to vertical then 22' up 8" flue enclosed by brick chimney. No damper.

This happens most commonly when I light the cold stove when the wind is from the north. I've tried Everything I can think of to heat up the air in the stove to reverse the flow before I light it and fill the house with smoke. I put a propane torch inside and close the doors but the flame suffocates when the oxygen is spent.

Other times it lights up properly and operates as it should.

What do you all think? Would a damper help?

Thanks again, Sykesman

The F600 calls for a 6" pipe, not 8". Aside from that issue, have you ever tried a top down fire? If not, do a quick search of the forum and you'll find quite of few members use it to establish a good draft.

Reactions: semipro
A damper will not help. Weak draft is the issue and the 8" pipe is not helping. Is this a first floor or basement install? If basement install that may be compounding the issue.

Here's a link to a video on the top down starting method.

You may also try opening a nearby window a crack . . . but as others have said . . . the 8 inch chimney is not helping things.

A word of warning: a some point you'll be tempted to open the ash pan door to speed things up once you get a fire started. Don't do it or you may crack a stove casting.
You can open a side or front door if extra air is needed though.

I appreciate your responses, thank you.

I think I solved the problem by opening a window on the windward side to fill the house with some positive pressure. The draft improved immediately and the stove lit right up!

Status
Not open for further replies.