Jotul GF 600 DV needs repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acesneights1

Oct 18, 2008
North East CT
does anyone know where I can find someone to repair my stove ? I had a guy name Dale? that Preston Trading Post recommended but apparently he is not doing it anymore is what they told me. I cannot find anyone who will work on this thing. The burner will not come on. The pilot lights and stays lit and I tried jumping the thermostat. I don't really like working on gas appliances and would prefer to leave it to a professional. Any recommendations in North East Ct ?

Do a google search for NFI Certified gas technicians. There should be one in your area.
You probably need a new thermopile - about a $50 part at True Value.
Good luck with your search, but if you can't find anyone to repair your unit,
I can probably talk you thru the replacement , if you're willing to attempt it.

Reactions: acesneights1
Actually, I think you are right. I played around with it this am. Intook the pilot assembly out and blew it out with air to make sure it was clean. Putnit baxk together and pilot seems to be ok.....but maybe a weak flame ?? I have 210Mv after the pilot has been lit awhile. My reading on this forum seems to be differing opinions on what is nessicary Mv but what I did as. Quick test was hold a lighter to the opposite side of the thermopile that the pilot flame hits and the burners lit after about 2 secs...so based on this is it the thermopile or a weakmpilot flame ?

Also once I did that and the burner lit(I heard the valve click to relase the burner gas) it now stays lit until I drop the tstat . Once it shuts off from tstat, it will not relight unless I repeat. The voktage reading was taken with a very expensive Fluke pro DMM so itnshoukd be accurate.

210mV should be fine with the BURNER on.
What is the TP mV reading on the pilot?
There is an adjustment screw (brass) on the valve which may increase the mV.
The thermostat itself may be the problem with the unit coming back on.
If you jump the TH & TH-TP teminals what happens?
If you remove the wires going to the t-stat & connect them together, what happens?

How would I read the TP at the pilot ? I read it on the terminals where it connects tomthe valve block. Yes I did try jumping the tstat. No difference although since I screwed with it and got it to light off by flaming the TP it now works correctly. I ordered a Pilot assmebly kit which includes a new TP and an LP orifice. i am going to change the whole assembly. I took it out and blew it out and the flame it. Little better but if I tap the hood on the pilot burner the flame gets smaller which leads me to believe there is rust or crud that I cannot clean out because the hood is rusted on. I had the same issue with my oer stove which is a lil hammer. I think being that the stove is 13 yrs old, a whole hew pulot assembly is a good PM investment but fwiw it seems to be functioning normally now. Will update. When the new parts arrive.

Not "AT" the pilot, but "ON" the pilot.
You did it correctly, by reading across the TP & TH-TP terminals.
Take a reading with ONLY thew pilot burning. It should be about 500 - 550mV...