Jotul GF200 not lighting, no pilot.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dogsled

Oct 27, 2020
Colorado
Read thru a few other similar issues. My stove has been installed a few years, worked fine. It has the remote thermostat (smart mode). So far this season, no light. I have verified the following:
  • gas is getting to the stove input - recently refilled tank, checked connection - smelled & heard gas right up to the input.
  • input valve appears to work, turned off gas, removed & checked valve function - cycles ok.
  • no blockage anywhere - checked burner, pilot area, etc. no issues.
  • ignitor works - one can see the spark continually cycling but appears like no gas is there.
  • The pilot came on once, and then the burner came on for a few seconds and went out. Unable to get pilot on since.
  • When turning on the stove in manual or auto mode, one can hear slight hissing like the gas is running, and if the gas input valve is shut off, the noise goes away. Sounds like gas is getting somewhere but I don;t smell it.
  • This unit has a control PCB where the valves, etc are on connectors, nothing is labeled to be able to monitor voltages. Plus it will require complete stove de-installation to get at anything to debug. From the front, all the connectors & wires have been untouched and appear to be connected.
  • The remote regulator has a small stepper motor, and I don't hear it operate when changing from low to high gas. However, if stuck at a setting, would not the pilot still light?
  • The stove dealer (Rocky mtn stoves) was no help. They referred me to several outfits all of which are booked 3-4months out.

I would disconnect the pilot tube to make sure gas is coming out of the gas valve.
If you hear it & smell it, you may simply have to hold the knob in for a longer duration
in order to get the gas to the pilot hood.

There is no pilot knob to hold in. This is the remote thermostat version. If the remote stepper motor unit is also controlling the pilot on/off, that could be what is failing.

This pilot has a small sliding orifice in the threaded head- one for NG and one for propane, I would guess. Turns out it must have been slightly off, as I removed and reinstalled and now the pilot works. Although now the pilot is huge and appears to be leaking around the base of the threaded head. So now to see why it doesn't seal.

This pilot has a small sliding orifice in the threaded head- one for NG and one for propane, I would guess. Turns out it must have been slightly off, as I removed and reinstalled and now the pilot works. Although now the pilot is huge and appears to be leaking around the base of the threaded head. So now to see why it doesn't seal.
Not sure what you mean. Can you post a pic?

Ok, the pic doesn't show much. The pilot does appear correct now, I tightened the top part of the pilot nozzle. No more leaks. pilot flame looks as expected, not blasting or weak. Now the pilot comes on, the burner comes on for few seconds and then goes out. The pilot remains lit for a bit, then the burner comes on again, goes out after a few seconds. Then the pilot goes out. This happens when in "smart" mode, or in manual mode. So I would check voltages but on this stove, there are only sealed connectors and I have no clue where to measure.

Also this is a GF300 DV ipi. actually the GF 200 is pretty much the same.

Last edited:
To be honest, Jotul was just coming out with their IPI units when I left
the hearth industry in 2011, & I don't have a lot of experience with
their IPI systems. Check for a good ground contact & also check to
make sure the flame rectification rod (if there is one) is clean.

Reactions: Millbilly