Jotul Kennebec Stove top temps - what do you get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oconnor

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Nova Scotia
I am getting consistant 600F to 750 temps on startup on my Kennebec - using an "Imperial" thermometer just in front of the flue attachement on the firebox (as far back as I can get it, but still be in front of the flue adaptor). Stove likes to stay above 650F - if I damp it down beyond 2/3 closed then the fire goes out.(Edit - I now know I have a draft issue due to only having a 5 inch flex liner instead of the 6" called for)

Nothing glows, glass is clean and room is warm - but the numbers seem high to me. What to other insert owners get when measured here? I'd love to hear from some "kennebecers"... Tell us exactly where your thermometer is too, as I think it varies 100-150F from front to back.

Typically 450 is tops for me (IR thermometer pointed as far back as I can get it above the doors on the top of the box). Usually, I can keep it between 400-450 for some length of time. I've gotten it up 500 a couple times, but not very often and not for very long.

I have a Rutland thermometer placed on top and mine likes to cruise at 600 to 650. She's really cranking out the heat at 650. I've had it hotter but try not to maintain any higher temps that 650. This time of year (Fall) I don't even get it to 600 or it cooks us out of the house.

If your fire goes out when dampering down, you could be shutting down too much too fast.

Hi all:

1st time poster, long time reader of this forum. I installed a c 450 Kennebec in September and I have been using it now for about 2 weeks. The Rutland thermometer I placed on the firebox reads at about 450 to 550 consistantly. I have read on other threads in this forum that this particular unit can cook at 600 to 700 with no problem.

Thanks for the posts. - one question for everybody, where is the center of your thermometer? If you've posted already, maybe edit the post with the location referenced to the front

Given the gas path in the stove, I'm thinking that the front nearest the doors is likely cooler than further aft nearest the flue adaptor.

Mine is near the flue adaptor - 600F to 750F

Tried another burn with the temp guage nearest the stove front - found I got a slower response than when closest to the flue adaptor, and ran 100F cooler on the guage for the first hour, then evened out.

I'll be keeping my themometer nearest the flue outlet - my Kennebec is fully exposed to the room, so I can still read it, as long as I rotate the thermometer "upside down".

Edit - found this thread in the pics forum - https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8690/

Gives mostly the same info .

Status
Not open for further replies.