Jotul Lumberjack 380

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

D. Hermit

Feeling the Heat
Nov 21, 2020
NeK Vermont
Been negotiating picking this up from this guy for 3-4 months now. Finally made the 8 hour round trip to buy it, and I never buy fully restored(mainly because I enjoy doing it myself and knowing it was done right). But the price was right, and the guy out west who did it did a perfect job, proper hardware putting it back together and everything. Gunna give it a fresh paint job and ill post new pictures. Poor thing as been in a crate for the past 5 years, something this rare should be out to be viewed at least, not hiding in someones basement getting rusty from humid air.

6B455BE9-C23B-431B-82B8-9571406021DD.jpeg DD8184CA-1AC4-4490-9423-DD0698CB07C8.jpeg 04805359-B8A8-454B-84CE-048F5E81F3C8.jpeg

Reactions: JamesGuido
Yea I just brought it in from the back seat of the truck. Its pretty light, maybe 150lbs. The legs and cookplates were all wrapped in bubble wrap still from when the guy got the stove crated and shipped from the west years ago. They all need a lil repaint and then Ill post a nice shot of it all put together with the legs.

That's a neat little stove. Looks a bit like a cross between an old laundry stove and a cookstove.

Here she is, all cleaned up, assembled and re painted. Just have to season the cook plates. Came out awesome, no plans of getting rid of this one anytime soon. If anyone has a line on an original manual or even repo, id love to see it!BDD5452C-3B1E-463E-8263-0E6579F7C69C.jpeg5799C202-E44C-40BE-BF29-50F8BFC32632.jpeg7D30EC82-4F69-4676-AC56-6AAC5E274115.jpeg7B34E20F-DEDD-4CB8-BE8C-AC8B6F4E4815.jpegE4D59494-4F61-408B-B53B-EAFA78C56A38.jpegC505EA87-047C-48FF-98FC-E1E3516255DB.jpegF1CB0ECE-E834-42E2-B5FE-2B4F9C80B83E.jpeg

Still looking for manual, thinking of calling up Jotul Dealers that have been around since the 70s, seeing if they have there old books

I wonder if Krista Associates (the original US Jotul distributor) in Gorham Maine even imported them? I dont remember seeing one installed but have seen at least one on Ebay. I wonder if that was privately imported. There was a woodstove hoarder in VT about 10 or 15 years ago that had quite a collection of European small stoves (Jotuls and Morso's) who sold off a bunch of them on Ebay. I dont remember if he had one and he had a low of weird ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: D. Hermit
The rear cutouts are a little odd. Were they stock? Some seem crudely cut. Does the firebox taper to the rear or are the out sides not the same as the firebox walls?

The rear cutouts are a little odd. Were they stock? Some seem crudely cut. Does the firebox taper to the rear or are the out sides not the same as the firebox walls?
Pretty sure they are all stock, its a convection system that takes cold air from the floor and warms it. There are spaces below the firebox as well on the sides that allow the air to come up. From what I can tell all cast parts fit as they should and match up to the diagram on woodsman. Plus I am in touch with a guy from Norway and we are talking about the stove, he has the big brother for this stove that was never imported, the Jotul 381, and he did not say anything along the lines of “who cut the holes in the back”. So pretty sure its all stock.

I wonder it Krista Associates (the original US Jotul distributor) in Gorham Maine even imported them? I dont remember seeing one installed but have seen at least one on Ebay. I wonder if that was privately imported. There was a woodstove hoarder in VT about 10 or 15 years ago that had quite a collection of European small stoves (Jotuls and Morso's) who sold off a bunch of them on Ebay. I dont remember if he had one and he had a low of weird ones.
Sounds like where I will be in 10 years, the Vermont wood stove hoarder. Haha

I have two spares in inventory, a 404 and a 606 ;)

• Love
Ad in the VT habit of treating the speed limit as the absolute maximum except on I91, my bet is two hours to Gorham if you take the shortcut thru Lyndonville to skip St J. ;) I inherited my 606, it was burnt for about 3 months when new. The 404 I bought on ebay it has a chip in the porcelain on one of the top cover screws and the porcelain is discolored between the burners. I did buy a spare grate as the original one has a crack. It also has what we surmise is a coal hopper door (not shown on US parts listing but someone on Hearth in Colorado has the same exact part on his).

Really, Gorham? Haha ive bought 3
Stoves from that town in the past 4
Months, and go right through it on my way to Paris Maine when im grabbin stoves over that direction. I do take the short cut to get there. When I go more southern NH i take 91 to 93 normally.

Lots of older folks in Berlin and Gorham moving out of their family homes. There are some local pickers who hit the estate sales but they offer pennies on the dollar. ATVs are grabbing a lot of the places for weekend places and possible retirement homes.

Thats true, almost every place this summer was the same story “we just bought this house and the stove came in it and we dont want it”. I actually got that super rare Sp order only Blue Morsø 1125
in gorham. Mint condition, looks like the people who had the home before bought it new in 83 and never moved it and maybe burned 20 fires in it.

Sorry to Necro the thread, did you ever have any luck in finding a manual for the 380 Hermit?
Negative. Closest I got was an old Krista Assoc. sales book that just has some basic info on the stove, like design and stuff. No specs or anything

I imagine not a popular stove with the Amish, given that scene one the side (playing instruments is forbidden).

I imagine not a popular stove with the Amish, given that scene one the side (playing instruments is forbidden).
I could not speak to that. I know it was pretty much a flop overall in the USA. There not much to heat with really, more of a stove for like a trapper cabin. They were orginally made, from my understanding, to be eaisly broke down and put on sleds to bring out into the Norwegian woods for the lumberjack cabins.

If you're still looking for a a manual Hermit there's a copy print on ebay currently. I'd have bought it myself having just collected a lumberjack today but it's in the US and I'm the other side of the pond so shipping is more than the item.

Hey man thank you very very very much I appreciate it! I just bought it when it comes in give me about a week or so and I’ll scan it up and I will send you a copy

Reactions: The Axe Doctor
They were orginally made, from my understanding, to be eaisly broke down and put on sleds to bring out into the Norwegian woods for the lumberjack cabins.
How did they seal the seams? Are they gasketed?

How did they seal the seams? Are they gasketed?
They are not, but you can get the legs off, and then its just a box that will stack nicely on a sled, snd you can fill it with supplies to bring to camp still, so you dont lose space on the sled. At least thats my understanding. I can reach out to a buddy in Norway who does stoves out there and see if he can give me better details.