Jotul not consistently responding to thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Horned Owl

Sep 9, 2020
Milwaukee
Apologies if I'm duplicating a thread, but the others I looked at didn't seem to be quite the same problem. Here goes:

I have a Jotul GF 500 DV, purchased new in 2014. I use a Proflame transmitter as a thermostat and have had good results with that. In the last few years, however, I find that I'm having an increasing number of events where the stove does not shut off when the appropriate temp is reached. It's not that it doesn't shut off AT ALL, at least so far, but just that it will run up to 10 or more degrees above the set temp.

Sometimes I'll get up in the AM or come home from work to find that the temp is far above what I set, but since I wasn't home, I don't actually know how high it went before shutting off. If I'm home when this occurs, I can fix the problem by doing the following: I push the button for the thermostat setting to turn the flame totally OFF. I wait a few seconds after the flame goes out, then return to the room thermostat setting, and the flame will then stay off until the temp has dropped enough for the stove to need to fire up again.

I have only noticed that it failed to turn ON once or twice, where the temp was significantly below the set temp. This was also fixed by the same procedure as mentioned above.

I've replaced the Proflame transmitter within the last 2 years or so. This problem also doesn't seem to have anything to do with battery strength, as it happens on brand new batteries as often as on older ones. I have begun to place the transmitter closer to the stove, hoping this would help, but I'm really not sure if it has or not. Right now it's less than 3 feet from the stove and the failure to respond still happens several times a week (that I know of). Would a hard-wired thermostat work better, or is the issue more likely in the stove itself?

The dealer I purchased this from has been spectacularly unhelpful with any trouble calls right from the get-go, and there is no other Jotul dealer anywhere near me. Other fireplace/stove dealers are not willing to work on my stove b/c they aren't Jotul dealers. I'm hoping someone here can give me some direction. Thanks in advance for your help.

I had a customer that had the same issue you are having.
After replacing the control(where the batteries go in the stove) it seems to be working.

Thanks, FF. This online manual matches the paper one I have: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1037327/J-Tul-Gf-500-Dv-Ipi.html?page=36 The page it's turned to shows directions for what I believe is the battery replacement that you're suggesting. The manual claims that there will be a red LED light showing on the IFC board if the batter power is low. I don't see any such light, unless I'm not looking at the right place.

I'm also not seeing where the batteries are, although it's difficult to see under there even with a flashlight (I'm sure you know this already!) Can you offer any landmarks or other assistance for someone who's unfamiliar? Again, I appreciate your time and effort.

Pics are of what I believe to be the IFC board, taken from the front of the stove. I may be able to get some pics of the back/underneath if that would be useful. Just let me know.

20211126_080706.jpg 20211126_080742.jpg

Thanks, FF. This online manual matches the paper one I have: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1037327/J-Tul-Gf-500-Dv-Ipi.html?page=36 The page it's turned to shows directions for what I believe is the battery replacement that you're suggesting. The manual claims that there will be a red LED light showing on the IFC board if the batter power is low. I don't see any such light, unless I'm not looking at the right place.

I'm also not seeing where the batteries are, although it's difficult to see under there even with a flashlight (I'm sure you know this already!) Can you offer any landmarks or other assistance for someone who's unfamiliar? Again, I appreciate your time and effort.

Pics are of what I believe to be the IFC board, taken from the front of the stove. I may be able to get some pics of the back/underneath if that would be useful. Just let me know.

View attachment 286391 View attachment 286392
There should be a switch somewhere, OFF-Remote-On. Directly under the switch, is where the batteries go...