Jotul Nr. 3 (not an F-3)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FarmerDan

Jan 21, 2016
Pleasant Springs, WI
Hey Folks -

A pal of mine purchased a green enameled Jotul Nr. 3 (not to be confused with the F-3). I've looked on Jotul's website, appears to be a part of the Combifire Series. I'm attempting to find any extra information on the Nr. 3, as Jotul's website has info on other numbers in that series, but not 'ol #3.

Here's a photo of the actual stove, and a photo of the older Combifire stoves from a Jotul manual.

Anyone familiar with this stove, and the appropriate clearances needed for this older beast? I assume, from reading up on Combifire #1 and #4, that we'll need a lot of space.

Thanks!
Dan
combifire.PNG 15f7e405e08a7588803633ac77e9f4a3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is no UL listing plate it can now be installed per NFPA 211 unlisted stoves with 36 inch clearance or use the reduced clearances with approved heat shield down to minimum of 12 inches. ** AFTER May 1 2018 your state is under the 2015 edition of ICC family of codes requiring ALL appliances to be UL listed. Do it quick ;lol.

Reactions: FarmerDan
If there is no tag, it is not listed by the manufacturer. Listed means tested and installed to UL testing specification by an approved lab.
Not a problem for areas that allow unlisted appliances to be installed, which use the NFPA Standard. (which is not a code, it is the standard which codes adopt) Once installed it is grandfathered and can be used, unlike waiting until after May 1 when all "new" installations legally require listed appliances.

Last edited:
Reactions: FarmerDan
Hey Folks -

A pal of mine purchased a green enameled Jotul Nr. 3 (not to be confused with the F-3). I've looked on Jotul's website, appears to be a part of the Combifire Series. I'm attempting to find any extra information on the Nr. 3, as Jotul's website has info on other numbers in that series, but not 'ol #3.

Here's a photo of the actual stove, and a photo of the older Combifire stoves from a Jotul manual.

Anyone familiar with this stove, and the appropriate clearances needed for this older beast? I assume, from reading up on Combifire #1 and #4, that we'll need a lot of space.

Thanks!
Dan
View attachment 225920 View attachment 225921
Is that a screen or glass front? I ask because I picked one of these up and it is missing