Jotul Oslo 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad

Sep 20, 2007
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has purchased the new fan kit for the Oslo 500, and if so, is it worth the money? Thanks.

Replying . . . and bumping this up to the top so you might get some more replies.

Nope . . . I asked my dealer about buying the optional fan and he suggested trying the stove without the blower and seeing if it was providing enough heat for my needs . . . he added that most folks that buy this stove in his store do not get the blower. So far (it's still early in the heating season) I've been pretty pleased with the heat . . . although I do use a fan to help move some of the heat throughout the rest of the house.

No blower on my Oslo. The beast will put out heat like there's no tomorrow.

Only way I'd consider a blower is if I had the thing in a position where blowing the hot air would move it say, down a hallway to a far part of the house, or something like that.

My stove heats things up just fine as is, like, when it's 30 degrees outside, and I come home at 4pm, and it reads 68 on the thermometer inside, I can load it with some boxelder (a lightweight quick burning wood), let that load burn down a bit, put two more splits of boxelder on top, and in short order, say an hour or hour and a half, that thermometer reads 85.

I then let that load burn down to coals, rake 'em around a bit around 8:30 or 9 pm, and load the beast with good hardwood for the night.

I actually asked the same question yesterday and unfortunately have not gotten any replies. It's quite an investment. I'm also thinking about an Ecofan. For what it"s worth, my dealer said that most Oslo buyers have bought the blower/ heat shield ($358 !).

Status
Not open for further replies.