Jotul Oslo F500v3 short burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Barry C

Oct 3, 2022
NYS
We have a few in the field. After a few decades of Jotul being our #1 seller, he have backed off almost completely. The Oslo has been a real deal killer… I’m trying to find a real fix for it, but it’s elusive. The Ashpan doesn’t always seal up tight, even though it’s latached. Overfire is a common issue.
So we have a new (1 month) V3 F500 and I feel it burns wood too fast. I never get up in the morning to find any coals or heat in the stove. Set at lowest point and filled at night with seasoned wood, I always have to restart a fire. I have used a PE for 30 years and never had to restart a fire.
25 foot SS liner in a fireplace, professionally installed. The supposed 10-12 hr burn time, seems to be way off, or is my stove faulty in some way?

Mod edit: Moved this question to its own thread

A 25 ft liner will provide strong draft, perhaps too strong. How does the fire look when it's burning?

One thing to check is to verify that the ashpan door is sealing well and tightly. Ash can buildup behind the ashpan. Check for any coals or compacted as at the back of the ashpan holder.

What s the thickness of the splits being burned? Skinny 2-4" splits will burn quicker than 5-8" splits.

Last edited:
When you shut the primary air down does it slow way down? I’ve seen issues with this stove where it just won’t slow down.

A 25 ft liner will provide strong draft, perhaps too strong. How does the fire look when it's burning?

One thing to check is to verify that the ashpan door is sealing well and tightly. Ash can buildup behind the ashpan. Check for any coals or compacted as at the back of the ashpan holder.

What s the thickness of the splits being burned? Skinny 2-4" splits will burn quicker than 5-8" splits.
The wood I am burning (5-8") is bigger than I would ever use in my PE. It still burns way too fast. I am currently, (for a few days) using the PE in our WV home, burning 1-2" splits, super dry oak. I get up this AM and there are coals, just dropped in more wood and off it goes.
The packed Jotul will not damper down enough to reach 7 hours and have any coals left, the stove is cold.
The door does not seem to seal well, the ash drawer and space is not blocking the door, it is clean.

When you shut the primary air down does it slow way down? I’ve seen issues with this stove where it just won’t slow down.
The stove slows down but not enough to slow the pace of the fire. See attached link of it burning on LOW. It is an icloud link.

Block the unrestricted air holes on each side of the Ash House Assembly with magnets. This stove is designed to run full blast from the factory to get the efficiency numbers up. Even if you turn the draft all the way down it still sucks air in from those holes for combustion so you can only get it to run so low without blocking those holes. Alternately, you can let the Ash House fill up with ashes thereby producing the same result as blocking those holes with magnets. My stove runs beautifully after blocking those holes.

Read this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-jotul-f500-v3-owner.190449/

I do finally see the tiny holes on the ash house. I have one covered with the magnet.
The big change is that the dealer came by after seeing the vid of too fast burning on low. I had previously done the match flame test and saw the flame suck in all along the top of the ash door. He did the dollar bill test and it was loose. He removed and replaced the gasket and it is working correctly now. Some coals in the AM so a full restart is not needed. I will cover the second hole in the ash housing panel.