Jotul Oslo v3 air leak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skycamper

Sep 23, 2021
Beaverton OR
Had this stove two years and it’s pretty nice. The damper works well to knock back the fire but seems to still burn up pretty quick. I closed off the two holes on the bottom with magnets. The cat cruising at 800F to 1000F with very dry wood. I posted a video and a photo. Is this too much flame ? I’m seeing a lot of complaints about this stove so that’s concerning.

IMG_2382.jpeg

Also have 20 feet of double and triple wall pipe house built in 1951 located in a sunroom. Only burn wood less than 20% moisture. Oak and fir, maple, cedar.

Using a laser thermometer the back right side is always 100F hotter than the back left side in the stove top. Weird.

That looks like a pretty good secondary burn. Was the air cut back all the way? Is the 20’ chimney straight up or do you have elbows? How quick of burn are you talking about? Maybe just need some larger splits tightly packed?

I also think many people don’t turn down the air soon enough. If the load is shut down late there’s a good chance the whole load will off gas all at once and shorten burn times. I like to use internal flue temps as my guide to shutting things down.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I have two 45 degree elbows before going in the ceiling. Yes I closed the dampner all the way about 30 min into the burn. I cleaned the whole chimney last week, I notice less tar with the cat stove which has been nice.

If I put in 4 medium splits of oak and fir the stove will be hot to the touch for about 6 hours id say. I never fill it up since it will cook me out of the room. I am burning less wood that with the big Englander I used to own for 10 yrs.

Im going to try the dollar bill test later today and the next time I clean it I think I will also do the flashlight test and check inside for any weird creasote residue around joints and gaskets.

I did find some broken pieces of cement a few times in this stove. (not firebrick)...... Is that from where it squished out during assembly?

Every once in a while I will hear moisture sizzling from wood that was not well seasoned and if that happens I don't close the dampler until the moisture escapes. When should I normally close the damper all the way?

I’d say for about 4 medium sized splits that’s about right for burn time. Maybe you could load more if you could push some of that heat out into other areas with fans?

The cement is probably what you said just excess squished out from the seems but doesn’t hurt to check.

Here’s a great thread by Begreen on running an EPA stove, it’s pretty much how I do it and it works great.

Reactions: skycamper