Jotul Oslo V3 - Coal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ABruso

Dec 10, 2023
Massachusetts, USA
Hi al, I have a V3 Oslo installed March 2023. I run it pretty much 18 hours per day as its our only source of heat. Its going well so far. The stove is tight so far. I've actually had issue with losing draft since I installed the factory blower on it (doesn't matter if i'm running the blower or not, it used to draft better). I run it now with the air controller wide open most of the time.

I have a source of coal and I was thinking of supplementing a few pieces of coal in along with wood. Any reason why this would be an issue? I am guessing only issue would be over heating and maybe something where the Fusion combuster doesn't like the constituents in coal.

Speaking of over heating, how is that defined on this stove? The absolute hottest I get is 600 on the top plate (measured using a standard magnetic circular thermometer) and 1200 in the hole near the rear which measures temp after the combuster (using a probe thermometer that the dealer gave me). Usually I am running 500 on the top plate and 1000 on that rear thermometer.

Hi al, I have a V3 Oslo installed March 2023. I run it pretty much 18 hours per day as its our only source of heat. Its going well so far. The stove is tight so far. I've actually had issue with losing draft since I installed the factory blower on it (doesn't matter if i'm running the blower or not, it used to draft better). I run it now with the air controller wide open most of the time.

I have a source of coal and I was thinking of supplementing a few pieces of coal in along with wood. Any reason why this would be an issue? I am guessing only issue would be over heating and maybe something where the Fusion combuster doesn't like the constituents in coal.

Speaking of over heating, how is that defined on this stove? The absolute hottest I get is 600 on the top plate (measured using a standard magnetic circular thermometer) and 1200 in the hole near the rear which measures temp after the combuster (using a probe thermometer that the dealer gave me). Usually I am running 500 on the top plate and 1000 on that rear thermometer.
Coal will absolutely destroy your catalytic combuster. Also coal won't burn right without air from underneath.

Absolutely no. It's the first item warned about in the manual.

BURN UNTREATED WOOD ONLY. DO NOT BURN:
• Coal; :ZZZ
• Garbage;
• Synthetic fuel or logs;
• Material containg rubber, including tires;
• Material containing plastics;
• Waste petroleum products, asphalt products, paints, paint thinners or solvents;
• Materials containing asbestos;
• Construction or demolitioin debris;
• Railroad ties or pressure-treated wood;
• Manure or animal remains;
• Lawn clippings or yard waste;
• Salt water driftwood or other previously salt-water;saturated materials;
• Unseasoned wood;
• Colored paper, or
• Paper products, cardboard, plywood, or particle board.

Yes I see that in the manuel. I am curious is the concern over heating or is the concern some combustion product of the coal thats bad for the catalytic converter? Just wondering if I can primarily burn seasoned firewood but then toss one baseball of coal in every 4 hours for some supplemental heat. I am not asking if I can exclusively burn coal in the Jotul.

Yes I see that in the manuel. I am curious is the concern over heating or is the concern some combustion product of the coal thats bad for the catalytic converter? Just wondering if I can primarily burn seasoned firewood but then toss one baseball of coal in every 4 hours for some supplemental heat. I am not asking if I can exclusively burn coal in the Jotul.
Again the answer is no

Yes, the main concern is for polluting the catalyst. The coating on the combuster is thin. Coal gases are acidic and can contain metals that will contaminate the cat.