Jotul Series 8 AP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joehonee

Dec 4, 2017
RI
Hello, I recently bought a 2nd hand Jotul (Series 8 AP) stove for short money. A friend has been using a Jotul Model 3 for many years and I love the simplicity and style of the stoves. Unfortunately I have discovered that my stove was very badly overheated. Many of the rear internal pieces are cooked and require replacement. I have been trying to source the parts but it appears that one in particular, "middle back panel P# 103105" is no longer available anywhere. I don't want to send it to the scrap yard so I am hoping the forum members might be able help me with the following:

1. Does anyone know of a source for Jotul parts other than the usual suspects found online?
2. Does anyone have an older stove that they might want to part out?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help bring one of these stoves back to life

Joe

Thanks but that is for a #8 stove which was an earlier generation. The Series 8 is a very different stove with catalytic.

I have spoken with Woodsmans already. They don’t have the part.

Thanks but that is for a #8 stove which was an earlier generation. The Series 8 is a very different stove with catalytic.

I have spoken with Woodsmans already. They don’t have the part.
Yes, the catalytics are different and parts are getting scarce for them. Model 8AP usually refers to the non-cat. Is this for an 8TDIC?

From what I have read the model development order (oldest to newest) of the Jotul 8 is:+

8TDIC
Series 8 (Cat)
Series 8 AP (Cat with ash pan)

I have tried for days to track down parts and it doesn't look good. Seems like these Series 8 might have been prone to overheating if operated incorrectly.

Sorry, I thought that with the 3 and 8 series that Jotul put a C in the model to designate catalytic. This was based on their literature on their site.
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 6.45.42 PM.png

But, somewhere deep in the cranial recesses this conversation sounded familiar. Had to go into the wayback machine, but yes this was discussed over a decade ago.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/jotul-model-series-8-ap-help.2871/

Last edited:
Trust me, you're better off. Those series 8 stoves were a painto work on and didn't hold up well. Yes I know, some have probably had great success with them, but mostly they were a nuisance. The older 8, like pre-catalytic was wonderful and smple to operate and maintain. Love them, may have one to sell soon actually.

It is certainly starting to look like this stove is scrap. I would love to try and convert it to a non cat but can't tell whether the same stove "body" will properly receive the burn plates of an older #8. Maybe its time to cut my losses and stick with the fireplace!