Jotul series 8 rebuild questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mbmcewen

Dec 24, 2023
Georgia
Hello! First post here.

I just bought a new to me Jotul series 8 AP. And it has to be completely rebuilt. I think I have my head wrapped around cementing the panels, and replacing the gaskets. But I do have a few random questions and thoughts

1) Is there a definitive list of gasket sizes for the Series 8? I need all of them except for the ash pan door. I'll be sealing that ash pan up. Or if that isn't possible, is there a list of confirmed diameters? I believe I can puzzle out which go where and how much I need of each.

2) I think I want to de-catalyze it. I have read of others doing that. Is there a tutorial or list of parts required to make that modification?

3) The side burner plates are missing. I was considering replacing them with cordierite or something similar. Thoughts?

4) If I do convert it and get rid of the combustor, will I need to replace any of the insulation that I pulled out? (it was rotten)

Luckily the iron is all in good shape as well as the glass. I'll need to turn a new handle and make a stand since it has no legs. I was not expecting this to be a complete rebuild but here we are...

I'll also be painting it with hi temp engine or caliper paint once its back together You think I can cure the paint and the cement both with the smallish fires??

I know that was alot. Thank you so much!

And Merry Christmas!

IMG_1086.jpg

I am quite fond of these Jotuls. A dear friend, who passed, had one in a basement den. I believe it was a #3.
It was a good ''little'' heater.

Someone will be along with more knowledge to your questions.
Welcome to the site and please keep us posted on your restoration.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I think Jotuls are often 3/8" but the density may vary. Get the a complete gasket kit for the stove from @D.Hermit He would know for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: D. Hermit
winging it so far (and possibly talking to myself…). I bought a gasket kit, cement, firebricks, and stove bright paint. Waiting for them to arrive.

Some gaskets werent included so i bought bulk 3/8” and 3/16” also

Got all the pieces hit with wire brush and flapwheel. Amazes me how fast they start to rust again.

Still no word from anyone about de-catalyzing it. I guess at the end of the day I could just stuff that catalyst compartment with insulation.

IMG_1096.jpeg

I am quite fond of these Jotuls. A dear friend, who passed, had one in a basement den. I believe it was a #3.
It was a good ''little'' heater.

Someone will be along with more knowledge to your questions.
Welcome to the site and please keep us posted on your restoration.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Thank you! Looking forward to hearing from old timers and seeing how this goes.

Reactions: all night moe
Is that black or a blue/black paint on the original parts?

Is that black or a blue/black paint on the original parts?
I saw that in the second set of photos. Wasn't sure it was a finish or what.
Definitely shows in the mock up.

post another few pics of the outside. close ups maybe will help.

FB9EAB5C-4174-4723-B22C-B5EA6148E5E6.jpeg
This is Blue/Black is has a bit more gray/blue color than flat black. It also has a slight semigloss finish vs flat finish of black.

• Love
Im not sure. This is my first stove. I do feel confident it is the original factory finish and it is a deep black. Not charcoal

Edited to add - but the finish was trashed in places
It's gonna make a Big difference on how you can finish it.

The High gloss finishes on these stoves won't accept a repaint unless sandblasted off. Blue/Black i'm not sure, gonna need D Hermit to chime in on that.

The High gloss finishes on these stoves won't accept a repaint unless sandblasted off. Blue/Black i'm not sure, gonna need D Hermit to chime in on that.
Ok Im tracking now. The original finish is dead flat. Not an enamel or porcelain.

The side panel pic is the factory finish

The pic of the top is after I ground on it a good bit. The top, front, and rear look like this now. There was a lot of rust on these surfaces

IMG_1103.jpeg IMG_1104.jpeg

Looks like a black painted stove.

My understanding is that the blue-black is still an enamel. We loved that finish. The difference is that it does not have the majolica clearcoat baked on.

That side panel might have been repainted. Look close above the 8. There are what looks like rust bubbles or other rough spots under the paint. Well either way grinding all that off is really your only option. Actually i like the ground finish the way it is in the mock up.

as for getting rid of the catalyst, i don't know the answer. I'd be inclined to try to get a new catalyst if available.

That side panel might have been repainted. Look close above the 8. There are what looks like rust bubbles or other rough spots under the paint. Well either way grinding all that off is really your only option. Actually i like the ground finish the way it is in the mock up.
10-4. Do you think it will take paint? Ive already purchased but if it means ima be grinding it all off again I wont do it

I bought Stove Bright spray cans

10-4. Do you think it will take paint? Ive already purchased but if it means ima be grinding it all off again I wont do it

I bought Stove Bright spray cans
That's a d hermit question if it is blue black, if it is Flat black then it certainly should. I think D hermit sells a superior paint for a good price. I'd ping him.

With All that effort and prep u want to get the finish right.

You definitely need those interior side panels too. Not sure if you can fab them or if they are precise fit pieces?

You definitely need those interior side panels too. Not sure if you can fab them or if they are precise fit pieces?
Dang. Ok. Yeah def either gonna have fabricated or…. Was thinking about lining with 5/8” thick fire brick with mortar up the sides and rear.

Thoughts?

No way Im buying replacement cast iron pieces. That will cost a fortune

And Ill look into a new catalyst.