Jotul Stove Ivory Colored with Black/Brown Stain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcia

Dec 28, 2012
Has anyone had a problem with black/brown stuff (if it is soot it does not come off with soot remover) staining their ivory Jotul? I recently had my Jotul reinstalled after a home remodeling job and not sure what happens when it is burning wood that causes parts of the stove to turn black/brown. More important than removing the stain is to discover what is causing it. The smoke alarm did go off and a chemical smell was there but no real smoke in the room. The short 24" flue was spry painted with paint that the hardware guy said was heat resistant. The flue connection, flue and chimney have been checked by a chimney sweep and that all looks good. HELP!! stove1.jpg

Did you get it really hot?

This is a 20 year old stove that we have at a beach house that we use rarely. I have had it very hot before with no problem. This stain only appeared after the reinstallation. Thanks for responding.

I had it happen with a blue/black enamel Jotul. Moved it from a really cold storage area into the back of the truck for delivery. Left it for two sunny days in the closed up truck and mildew spread all over it and wouldn't come out of the enamel. I figure every ounce of moisture in that truck stuck to that cold cast iron when it warmed up in the truck.

The brownish black stain did not happen until a fire was lit, but thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.