Just applied for first state wood permit...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willisl64

Apr 6, 2008
South Central IA
The state forester is off to mark standing timber for our state permits this week. We are allowed ~5 cord per permit, and can apply for additional permits once we've harvested our first 5 cord. She said 90% of the wood is oak and hickory and it will all be accessible via pickup. We can leave the brush lay so long as the trunks are cuttoff 3" from the ground. This will be my first year cutting off public land, and since the forest is only 5 miles from the house I'm looking forward to leaving my big hickorys alone. Oh yeah, the permit is FREE

that would be cool if my state did that. They may but never heard of it. I don't have a pickup but could get one in a flash.

A trailer, hooked up to a pick up, is 9 times out of 10, going to give you more bang for your buck capacity wise and tonage.

You can pull more than you can haul in the bed. Especially with a heavy duty hitch (I'm talking gooseneck, not tag along/bumper pull). BUT a bumper pull (bad terminoligy, it's not attached to the bumper) will still give you more tonage than just the bed of a truck.

Add in the weight in the bed, when you need to STOP, and you will have to STOP :snake: . It's easy to overload, and not realize it.

If you're hauling heavy, better to have a trailer, and meet all of your vehicles limits/requirements.

IMHO.

Now, go get that wood
chug.gif

Thats the nice part about the forest being so close, I can cut a truckload and have it home and split is a couple of hours. With is being so close, I'll be less inclined to over fill the Dodge 2500. That said, I am still thinking of adding airbags to the rear end for added support. Happy cutting

We have a dead and down permit I think here 20.00 a cord I need a truck SUV s worthless
Belplain state park has areas there working

Thats the nice part about the forest being so close, I can cut a truckload and have it home and split is a couple of hours. With is being so close, I’ll be less inclined to over fill the Dodge 2500. That said, I am still thinking of adding airbags to the rear end for added support. Happy cutting

Woot !!!! In a 2500, you are GOLDEN !!!

Go get the wood :)

Status
Not open for further replies.