Just been given an old Elmira coal-wood kitchen stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slate Dale

Dec 27, 2021
Slatington, Pennsylvania
Made in Canada. Very large exhaust, 10". Probably very inefficent too. Should I use, sell or scrap it? Seems in good shape, just a little rusty on top from setting outdoors in the rain a few weeks.

Definitely protect it and maybe oil down the top with some steel wool.

10" is a huge pipe for a cookstove. Is this double-wall with an 8" ID?

Whether or not to use it depends on whether there is room for it. Is there a chimney connection already in place. How would it be used, primarily for cooking or for heat? Post some pictures of the stove if you can. There may be parts available to convert it to wood if interested.

Definitely protect it and maybe oil down the top with some steel wool.

10" is a huge pipe for a cookstove. Is this double-wall with an 8" ID?

Whether or not to use it depends on whether there is room for it. Is there a chimney connection already in place. How would it be used, primarily for cooking or for heat? Post some pictures of the stove if you can. There may be parts available to convert it to wood if interested.
There is a wide oval exhaust on the rear of the stove, and it tapers into 10 inch round single wall. I'm wondering if I can reduce it to 8 inch.

It's dark in the barn now. Tomorrow I'll look it over again and try to find a model number.

It's dark in the barn now. Tomorrow I'll look it over again and try to find a model number.
Sounds good. Grab some pictures too if possible.

Those are pretty valuable stoves in this area. I’d use one if they were readily available here but they are like hens teeth. The coal forum guys would go nuts over it if it has the coal grate kit in it.