Just bought a house with a slammer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 5, 2016
Frederick md
Glad to have a wood stove again! The chimney was definitely thoroughly cleaned. But, the stove, top of damper area and fire box never touched.

Pulled out well over 100lbs of creosote and soot.

Liner going in soon just a little more cleaning.

The alarming part to me is I bought the house from an elderly widow who's husband was long deceased. Leading me to believe a chimney sweep likely left it like this.

Also thought this fossilized stink bug was pretty cool.

20211001_134437.jpg 20211001_134449.jpg 20211001_134709.jpg 20211001_215127.jpg 20211001_215200.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Woody Stover
Glad to have a wood stove again! The chimney was definitely thoroughly cleaned. But, the stove, top of damper area and fire box never touched.

Pulled out well over 100lbs of creosote and soot.

Liner going in soon just a little more cleaning.

The alarming part to me is I bought the house from an elderly widow who's husband was long deceased. Leading me to believe a chimney sweep likely left it like this.

Also thought this fossilized stink bug was pretty cool.

View attachment 282573 View attachment 282574 View attachment 282575 View attachment 282576 View attachment 282577
What makes you think a chimney sweep left it like that?

She said she still used it from time to and from how clean the chimney was someone got up there and cleaned it for her.
Was there a cap on it? If not the flue could have easily been washed down by rain.

Someone may have cleaned it for her but it could have easily been a family member or neighbor. Honestly that much buildup could be from a year or two of burning a slammer.

Reactions: Stevenmverrill