Just curious but...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cate68

Dec 7, 2010
Akron, OH
...I've got a piece of hickory, oak and silver cruising at about 600. They've been in there a good hour and the wood is dry...but the bricks are completely black. Shouldn't dry wood burning at that temp keep the bricks cleaned off? Not sure I've had this happen before.

Cate said:
...I've got a piece of hickory, oak and silver cruising at about 600. They've been in there a good hour and the wood is dry...but the bricks are completely black. Shouldn't dry wood burning at that temp keep the bricks cleaned off? Not sure I've had this happen before.

How long has the wood been seasoning for?

Zap

zapny said:
Cate said:

Zap

Hi Zap... The silver for a year and a half outside... the oak and hickory were both dead - no idea for how long, they were a fence row, so it could have been a while - and have been split for about 3 years. My first thought was unseasoned wood, but I check everything before it comes into the shed and anything still wet gets set aside to go back outside. It's just odd.

Cate said:
zapny said:
Cate said:

Zap

Hi Zap... The silver for a year and a half outside... the oak and hickory were both dead - no idea for how long, they were a fence row, so it could have been a while - and have been split for about 3 years. My first thought was unseasoned wood, but I check everything before it comes into the shed and anything still wet gets set aside to go back outside. It's just odd.

If I get the end of the wood close to the glass I might get some but it will burn off at 600 degrees. (Stove Top Temp)

Zap

zapny said:
Cate said:
zapny said:
Cate said:

Zap

If I get the end of the wood close to the glass I might get some but it will burn off at 600 degrees. (Stove Top Temp)

Zap

Down to about 450 now and the glass is clean, but bricks still black - or dark brown. But I must say, the secondaries it is giving off are just spectacular... dancing around like blue and gold nymphs in a children's fairytale. Very pretty.

Cate said:
... dancing around like blue and gold nymphs in a children's fairytale...

Wow, very poetic. Usually on this forum we express ourselves more along the lines of "that was a really big tree."

Wood Duck said:
Cate said:

Wow, very poetic. Usually on this forum we express ourselves more along the lines of "that was a really big tree."

And the one just next to it IS a flipping Monster. (bring the big saw please)

I get the black fire brick once in a while also, it is almost always with a less dense wood and its 3 years old in some cases, quick release of the gases maybe.

If just the one load I would not worry about some black brick. It sounds like the wood should be good though and as long as the glass is clean I'd say it is nothing to be concerned with.

I too get a lot of what looks like black brick in the middle of burning w/good secondaries. But as soon as it burns down into coals, you open the door and brick is as clean as new. I think mine almost has a "shadowy" effect. I know I'm burning good wood, temps are great and glass is clean. Can't be too analytical.

Wood Duck said:
Cate said:

Well, I'm not much of a poet, but I am a writer and can tell you that saying "that was a really big tree" when you see a big tree gets the point across just fine. But those secondaries last night seemed to have an adjenda of their own - I've not noticed them that spectacular in a while. I'm going to try that same wood combination when I reload tonight and see if I get the same result.

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Wondering if soapstone behaves differently than brick. The inside surface of my soapstone became black within the first few months of burning in the stove and remain black. I'm burning well seasoned wood, with no suspect issues of poorly seasoned wood (clean glass, no smoke, quick catch, etc., etc.). Cheers!

That seems weird NH_Wood as our soapstone has not done that.

Second season burning on the T6, and the bricks are still unblemished. Although when burning some freshly-split stuff the occasional soot darkens the door. Perhaps it's just a ghost of the Great Pine casting his final farewell. One last reminder of a majestic life spent among wis windswept brethren; slowly watching seasons turn 'round the idle, ever-changing but timeless rhythm of nature. Or the wood was wet. Either way the bricks stay clean.

(Wood Duck is right, "big tree burns hot, leaves bricks clean" is MUCH easier to write.)

moosetrek said:
Second season burning on the T6, and the bricks are still unblemished. Although when burning some freshly-split stuff the occasional soot darkens the door. Perhaps it's just a ghost of the Great Pine casting his final farewell. One last reminder of a majestic life spent among wis windswept brethren; slowly watching seasons turn 'round the idle, ever-changing but timeless rhythm of nature. Or the wood was wet. Either way the bricks stay clean.

(Wood Duck is right, "big tree burns hot, leaves bricks clean" is MUCH easier to write.)

Ha!!

The stove top can be at six hundred but until the rest of the stove body gets up to five or six hundred, which takes longer than the top, the stuff will accumulate on the bricks. After the stove body is up to temp it will burn off.

Update.

Well, when I went to start the stove today after work, the right side bricks were as clean as the day the stove was delivered, and the left side bricks looked like blocks of milk chocolate. I can only conclude the wood was probably at the bottom of the pile or somewhere it didn't get as good of air circulation and is not as seasoned as the rest. Is it summer yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.