Just getting a feel for the new format...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDXpyro

Burning Hunk
Oct 10, 2013
NW Oregon
...And adding to an observation that I've probably made here before: that many hardwoods take something like four times as long to season than most softwoods. I have Doug fir gleaned green in spring of this year that's testing at well under 20%, while some hardwood splits a year older are still holding around 30. Sheesh.

Reactions: Seanm
When it comes to any of the Pine or Fir species remember, even though seasoning time is shorter, your burn time is even more shorter. Don't get me wrong..I love Pine and Cottonwood for shoulder season. But in the dead of winter when the low will be -12F with a -35F windchill....After my fire is going and I'm ready to call it a night....1 big split of Ash, Hickory or Black Locust will go for 8 hours in my stove. 1 BIG SPLIT compared to a half a tree of any Pine. All wood has its purpose. :)

If you don't like the new format just go to the bottom edge of your screen and find the style title. If you hover the mouse over it you will see it is a style changer. I am now operating on "Old Hearth". I hated that new style.

Reactions: chazcarr
If you don't like the new format just go to the bottom edge of your screen and find the style title. If you hover the mouse over it you will see it is a style changer. I am now operating on "Old Hearth". I hated that new style.
Nice - that's much better!

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
Thanks!!! I didn't realize that style chooser was there. The new style wasn't terrible, but I like the old one better. Appreciate the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.