Just got a used hearthstone shelburne! have Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrems

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2013
Danbury CT
www.epichomebrew.com
Hi guys. I posted a few times looking for some used stoves. I had a hard time finding a good deal, mostly found old overpriced junk, or newer way overpriced stoves. Finally found something that would please the wife ( looks nice) but should heat well. It's a 2005 hearthstone shelburne. Original owner, had all the paperwork from the dealer- asking $500. I just picked it up tonight and unfortunatly they tried to move the stove before I got there and broke both baffle plates. It looks like I can replace both for about $110 so they took $100 off the price of the stove. I paid $400. I think I did good. It doesn't look black, it's almost like a midnight blue. Anyone have any experience replacing the baffles? Do I remove the top or remove the burn tubes to access? Thanks for all the help so far and I am now glad all the other stoves deals I found fell through. This one looks like a keeper! :)

I haven't replaced my baffles, but can provide owner's manual and exploded parts diagram (below). Enjoy your Shelburne...they're nice stoves!

Attachments

• Hearthstone Shelburne 8370 Manual.pdf
    872.9 KB · Views: 287
  • Hearthstone Shelburne exploded parts diagram.pdf
    237.8 KB · Views: 434
Try pulling the cotter pin out remove the angled piece of metal maybe the baffs will pull out. Prolly have to remove the top though.

...or visit the nearest dealer, and ask?

Yeah, there is a dealer 3 miles from my house. I'll stop by and ask. Thanks for the info and schematics. I was lucky the owner gave me the manual and receipt from when it was bought new. Any tips on operation? I read to leave the ash pan full and leave a little ash inside.

Great deal on that stove. I have always wanted to take one for a test drive.

Ya it is a good stove. Puts out good heat, keeps my house 70+! Dry wood dry wood dry wood! Pack it out let it burn on high getting the splits nice and chard then start closing it down all the way. A high burn on this stove is 450 on the stove top thats what the manufacture told me! Ill have to find that info they sent me....

Thanks everyone! I saw it on craigslist and told them I would come get it later that night( last night) drove 2 hours each way to pick it up. I didn't want to pass it up. I checked here first and saw good reviews, so that was good enough for me to go get it. I only have 1050sqft house to heat so I think it should do fine. Right now I have an old smoke dragon insert. I am going to hearth mount the shelburne so I think I only need the cleanout T to install (and the new baffles). I would be installing it today but the stove shops are closed because we are getting lots of snow here in CT.

I've never filled the ash drawer, I just make sure the grate is fully closed. Cableman's instructions are right on. Until your wood is really dry, you won't get great burns. But when it is dry, you can shut the air intake completely (gradually of course), and it'll burn with just secondaries...no yellow flames at all.

Enjoy!

I wonder if we could have a new baffle made out of 1/2" steel, any one know why they use the stuff they do? Is it a weight savings thing?

Nice deal, does the finish have a satin gloss? If so it sounds like you got one with blue-black enamel. That's my favorite finish.

cableman, the baffle material is a high-temp insulator. It helps keep the firebox temps higher for more efficient combustion and stove performance.

So we need some space shuttle tiles!

Not that dissimilar actually, but fortunately at a much lower cost.

I guess the 110 bucks isnt too bad! I noticed mine have a few scores in them, must have been wife using the poker tool! Lord only knows how my stove is handled while im out at work lol

I guess the 110 bucks isnt too bad! I noticed mine have a few scores in them, must have been wife using the poker tool! Lord only knows how my stove is handled while im out at work lol

Mention the $110 replacement cost to her. "Forewarned is forearmed."

Nice deal, does the finish have a satin gloss? If so it sounds like you got one with blue-black enamel. That's my favorite finish.
yes it's a satin blue-black enamel finish. It has a couple scrapes/chips on the top from probably a steamer pot. It's a nice looking stove!

So how dry do I need the wood to be? The wood I have now is mostly grey birch and ash. If I split a piece the inside ranges between 15-21% moisture depending on the piece. Good or bad? I have been supplementing the wood with super dry pallet wood. We get heavy pallets of copper and stainless at work and they are all nice oak pallets.

My hurricain sandy oak is 17% but i split small, it does pretty good. I just came across a lot of oak listed on CL! Picked up 2 trk loads so far and a ton is left, i wanna get a few years a head! I cant wait to try 2 year oak!
That is a great deal you got on that stove! I wanted the brown enamel one but was scared id chip it. Good luck with it

I wanted the brown enamel one but was scared id chip it.

I've had my brown enamel three years now and no chip or cracks...it looks great.

yes it's a satin blue-black enamel finish. It has a couple scrapes/chips on the top from probably a steamer pot. It's a nice looking stove!

So how dry do I need the wood to be? The wood I have now is mostly grey birch and ash. If I split a piece the inside ranges between 15-21% moisture depending on the piece. Good or bad? I have been supplementing the wood with super dry pallet wood. We get heavy pallets of copper and stainless at work and they are all nice oak pallets.

Sounds pretty good. Of course we'll be expecting some pictures once you have that little beauty hooked up and rolling. Sounds like you've scored well.

No problem. Give me a few weeks to order the baffle and get it situated and I'll get some pics once it's installed.

Anyone have a spare 6" T so I can connect the liner to the stove? Right now the liner goes straight down into the old insert. I will have to cut the liner close to the blockoff plate and install the T.

Of course they do! The wife wanted it but im cheap lol

I started cleaning it out today. I got the firebricks removed and vacuumed out all the ashes. The door gaskets were shot, they basically fell out. Then I noticed the glass was not even tight. The glass gasket is shot, 3 of the 6 glass hold down screws were already stripped. One was broken off and missing the hold down tab. And to top it off the glass has a tiny chip near the top. Any input? I think it should be ok to use. I know ceramic glass doesn't shatter. I'll have to drill and retap 3 of the holes :( Judjung by the look of the flue pipe they gave me with it, it looks like they were burning green wood or didn't even know how to operate the stove properly and get the secondays burning.

If the chip is minor it should be ok. Be sure to use a flat bottom tap on the door glass screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.