Just moved and looking to switch from pellet to wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A cat stove won't really give you more heat. Maybe a little bit because they are a tad more efficient than non-cats but don't expect huge gains. In the end, it is the BTU contained in the wood loaded into the firebox that decide how much heat you will get. What you can do with a cat stove is turning the air lower for a slow, clean burn. That way you will get a steady low heat output which correspondingly extends burn time. However, I expect that with 3200 sqft you will rarely turn the air control to low even with a cat stove. With higher settings, you will get more heat but your burn times will be (much) less than 30 hours. For a house your size the difference between cat and non-cat may not be that large except for the shoulder season when you may find the low burn desirable.

Reactions: Ashful
CAT stoves have a more constant heat output, and can put out heat for much longer due to their technology, than NON CAT stoves. That being said, they may be a little more picky in relations to the moisture content of your wood. That being said, most CAT stove users are very pleased with their stoves and would never go back. You certainly have a large house to be heated and there are many big stoves that can help based on your needs..try looking at 3 CUFT or larger and with a well seasoned hardwood, your oil bill will drop significantly. A friend of mine has a Boston 1700 but he is heating 1500 sq ft. Not 3400. It's hard to move air throughout such a large square footage...have you considered a furnace? Or do you really want a visual in the dining room?

Insulate your liner, make sure your wood is dry, buy a stove that fits your needs and budget. It's always a good bet to get a bigger stove. Small fires are possible in big stoves but it doesn't work well the other way around.

Keep us posted!

Andrew

I think we are confusing him. What you don't want is a stove that gives you a peaked burn cycle and sharp drop off. Stick with a stove that offers a more steady even heat over time.

That large of an area can cool off quick if the stove stops giving btus. A cat stove tends to offer a more steady even burn. A Soapstone stove like the Progress Hybrid would give you a softer heat and retain it well as the fire begins to die down.

So Im confused, someone said go with a cat stove and another poster said it wont be enough BTUs?? I plan on burning October thru March
The stove industry is just one of many where mis-information, especially on the part of dealers, is more prevalent than truth. As begreen and Grisu already stated, a catalyst does not limit heat output. It just gives you the ability to maintain a clean burn when you dial things down low.

I would like to know how stove makers & dealers can say 'this stove can heat this many square feet' without knowing anything about how that particular square footage is configured, how it is insulated & airsealed, and what the weather is like outside of it.

I would like to know how stove makers & dealers can say 'this stove can heat this many square feet' without knowing anything about how that particular square footage is configured, how it is insulated & airsealed, and what the weather is like outside of it.
Or how warm people like their home!!

You hit the nail on the head. Just buy the most efficient based upon HHV and one that you like best.

Cord wood is not a metered fuel and the best you can hope for is even heat distribution.

Or how warm people like their home!!

You hit the nail on the head. Just buy the most efficient based upon HHV and one that you like best.

Cord wood is not a metered fuel and the best you can hope for is even heat distribution.

Yes, that too - and likely along with other variables I didn't think to mention.

So Im confused, someone said go with a cat stove and another poster said it wont be enough BTUs?? I plan on burning October thru March

Okay so you're trying to use this as a real heat source for the whole winter and the house is a bigish rambler in CT and you're using 6" liner. With regards to performance you're best choice is the BK 30 series stoves and if you can't make it work with the top flue then go to the biggest Woodstock you can find (IS or PH)which is only about 3 CF but is rear exit for easier liner hookup.

Yes, output is lower when you turn the stove down for longer burn times. Both the BK and the WS will make it through the night easily at pretty medium outputs and then you can crank it up if needed. Nobody likes to wake up to a cold stove and cold house. What you will find is an output setting that keeps your house warm and you will reload at whatever interval is necessary to keep her running.

Once you leave the BK and WS, like if the looks are just not your thing, then the non-cat world is big. There are only a few rear venters and those are usually cast iron which need to be rebuilt at some interval when they start leaking.

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys. Picture is getting clearer. if you notice the floor plan I roughed out, the fireplace is in the perfect spot. The family room and bedrooms are all right near the fireplace. Other than the hallway furthest away which i don't care if that is as warm, I think Ill be in good shape. I do like the Woodstock soapstone free standing unit. Nice looking and is a cat stove I believe. I will call around and price them out

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys. Picture is getting clearer. if you notice the floor plan I roughed out, the fireplace is in the perfect spot. The family room and bedrooms are all right near the fireplace. Other than the hallway furthest away which i don't care if that is as warm, I think Ill be in good shape. I do like the Woodstock soapstone free standing unit. Nice looking and is a cat stove I believe. I will call around and price them out

They are manufacturer direct. In other words, what you see on their website is the only source for buying them new. They will ship it to your nearest loading dock. What model were you considering? For your setup an Ideal Steel or Progress Hybrid are the best options.

The Ideal Steel is bigger inside and has better low end control. It is made of steel with soapstone accents (optional). You can customize side panels, top burners, and andirons with an optional ash pan. Great stove.

The Progress Hybrid is a beautiful stove. Soapstone and cast iron. It has a slightly smaller firebox but plenty of overnight burn and then some.

Both stoves are hybrids meaning they have a cat and secondary burn zones. The two technologies work together to ensure you get the most heat out of your firewood. The Ideal Steel definitely has low end control capable of putting it into a deep cat burn. The firebox turns black and the temp gauges start climbing.

It can burn like that for many hours. A small air adjustment and you get a nice secondary flame show similar to a non cat stove. The air wash cleans the glass up.

The Progress Hybrid should act similar, but from what I have heard and experienced, the Ideal Steel burns lower then the Progress.

Last edited:
They are manufacturer direct. In other words, what you see on their website is the only source for buying them new. They will ship it to your nearest loading dock. What model were you considering? For your setup an Ideal Steel or Progress Hybrid are the best options.

The Ideal Steel is bigger inside and has better low end control. It is made of steel with soapstone accents (optional). You can customize side panels, top burners, and andirons with an optional ash pan. Great stove.

The Progress Hybrid is a beautiful stove. Soapstone and cast iron. It has a slightly smaller firebox but plenty of overnight burn and then some.

Both stoves are hybrids meaning they have a cat and secondary burn zones. The two technologies work together to ensure you get the most heat out of your firewood. The Ideal Steel definitely has low end control capable of putting it into a deep cat burn. The firebox turns black and the temp gauges start climbing.

It can burn like that for many hours. A small air adjustment and you get a nice secondary flame show similar to a non cat stove. The air wash cleans the glass up.

The Progress Hybrid should act similar, but from what I have heard and experienced, the Ideal Steel burns lower then the Progress.

Progress hybrid would be the one I like. If its factory direct, who would I have install it?

Either do it yourself or find a certified sweep in your area: http://www.csia.org/search and http://nficertified.org/pages_consumers/consumers-1.cfm

Please be aware that this stove is a sideloader meaning you can only partially push it into the firebox. If you have a truck and don't mind a little trip you could drive up to the factory in Lebanon, NH and pick up the stove yourself. You can then also get a tour, talk to the engineers etc. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/trip-to-lebanon-nh.111758/

Agreed. Call them up or visit. They will guide you through whatever questions you have. Top notch customer service.

Progress hybrid would be the one I like. If its factory direct, who would I have install it?

I also live in CT, and have a progress hybrid. Heats my 2200 sqft super easily. I installed ut myself, just had a couple people help me. All you really need is a piano dolly which costs like $15, and a ratchet strap. Unless you have stairs to contend with. I did try to find a stove dealer to install it, must have called 20 places and they all told me to pound sand. Place in canton actually cursed at me for calling them, wont ever give them any business thats for sure.

Wow they cursed at you? Unreal. I kinda wanted buy it from someone who could service it if anything breaks, but I guess with these stoves there isn't really anything to break right? I had nightmares getting my first pellet stove fixed cuz I bought it online. All the local dealers told me to pound sand. So my second pellet stove I bought local

The stove is more complex due to it's hybrid nature and bypass. There are are definitely things that can break or go wrong. We watched the PH being developed and there were definitely issues being discovered with the early units. Fortunately Woodstock's support for these and all customer stoves is excellent and quick; sometimes faster than dealing with a local dealer in order to get a warranty repair done.

For installation you could also see about hiring a CSIA or NFI certified installer. Go to their respective website and type in your zipcode to locate some near you.

Last edited:
Wow they cursed at you? Unreal. I kinda wanted buy it from someone who could service it if anything breaks, but I guess with these stoves there isn't really anything to break right? I had nightmares getting my first pellet stove fixed cuz I bought it online. All the local dealers told me to pound sand. So my second pellet stove I bought local

Yes they did, i was like Really? is that neccesary. I asked them the same question i did all the other places. "I am buying a wood stove factory direct and having it delivered, My question is can I have it delivered to your business, and then have you come and deliver it, remove my old stove and place the new one on my hearth?" Most places said no we don't do that, and we dont work with anything we dont sell. This place ,Valley fireplace and stove in canton CT, said "why the f*** would we do that, go find some other person to be your b****". I was completely blown away that a business would say that.

But back to the topic at hand. Woodstock has awesome customer service. I had 3 minor issues, and they went above and beyond to make everything right, and were very helpful with answering any questions i had on operation and isntallation. And everything I have heard from others that have had issues have also had very positive experiences. Wood stoves in general are pretty tough, and the progress hybrid is no exception. As long as you read the manual and operate it correctly you shouldnt have any major issues. The most common problems would be a result of building too hot of a fire the first time, or at the beginning of a burning season(first time burning it since the previous winter), you need a small fire at first to drive any moisture out of the soapstone so that you dont risk cracking any of the stones. Overfiring the stove in general, and general cat maintenance issues. This past year was my first year with my progress hybrid, and i was very impressed with it. I had read some complaints about the cat clogging up and needing cleaned frequently, but these from what i read were from people that didnt have the ash pan, or do not rake coals at reload and shovel out ash occassionally.

But since i had read about people having the cat clogging issue I decided I would check my cat frequently. I checked it the first time after 2 weeks, and then after that about once a month. Not once was my cat clogged. I would clean it each time i checked it, just because i already had it opened up. It takes me less than 5 minutes to do so. Take off the top 3 soapstone pieces and set them off to the side on a towel, lift up the lid, pull the cat out, set the gasket to the side, use a ash vaccuum and or a stiff bristled paint brush to clean it off and then put the gasket back on and put it back in and close it all up. It really takes very little time, even if you went really slow it would only take 10 minutes. I would do this typically on a weekend morning when i had a little extra time, before i reloaded the stove, but the stove would not be cold, it was usually around 250-300F stovetop temp still. I did this all wearing hearth/ heat resistant gloves obviously. This year i will only check my cat every 2-3 months, as i definitely was checking it too frequently last year.

The three problems i had with my stove. 1) inside middle piece of soapstone had a large chip that fell off during shipping, was probally 1x4in. Woodstock had me take a picture of it so that they could do their best to color match it, and shipped me a new piece. 2) Ash lip piece of cast iron had an imperfection around the bolt hole, and when i started tightening it it cracked and broke off. Woodstock shipped me a new one without question, along with a can of black stove paint to touch up some minor scratches on the ash pan. 3) The air control would get very stiff when the stove was up at peak operating temp. Woodstock sent me a replacement air control flap, or whatever the technical name for it is, damper i guess. The stove in general is very simply put together, with nothing too complex, if you have any mechanical aptitude whatsoever then you would be able to do any repairs if they were ever needed.

I was consistently getting 10+ hour burns with it, with an average of probably 12hrs or so. During the tail end of winter I was getting some 16 and 18hr burns. I didn't install it until the last week of january, so right when it started getting really cold here in CT last year. So after the break in fires i started really running it hard, and experimenting with operation and heat output. I was having no issues heating my 2200sqft house with high cathedral ceilings, and very poor insulation and air leaks. This year we did attic air sealing and blew in r60 insulation, so i expect a even better experience this winter. Goal being to be able to run the stove on a lower, more even heat output, and get 14+hr burns, instead of a higher heat output on 10ish hr reloads.

Thanks begreen, was just searching for those to post the links.

Well I just got off the phone with Woodstock. I can not use the progress hybrid. My hearth is 24 in wide and the stove is 29 inches wide, so part of it would have to be recessed into the fireplace. he said that won't work because its a side loading stove and the controls are in the back. Not to mention the stove is 33 1/2 inches tall and my fireplace opening is 32 1/2 inches tall. he said Id have to modify the hearth which I am not doing. So any other suggestions on stoves lol?

My hearth is 24 in wide and the stove is 29 inches wide

I think you may have misunderstood each other because when you are talking about width what you mean is probably depth. Check the dimensions of the Progress here:
http://www.woodstove.com/images/editorial_support/ProgressManual/dimspecs.pdf

The base of the feet is 20.5" with some part of the top sticking out from the back. That could easily be recessed into the fireplace while still allowing access to the loading door. With the short leg kit the Progress is only 28.5" tall and should easily fit under your lintel. The main stove body should fit onto a hearth that is 24" deep. If your measurements are correct I think it should work. Maybe someone who has a Progress can chime in about the air control lever on the side. Using the cooktop may be become an issue; depends how important is that for you.

If you want to make sure, construct a cardbox using the measurements provided in the linked document and see how that fits. You can paint on the door and controls and see how well you can still get to them.

Other than the Progress there already have been quite a few stoves mentioned that should work (more or less). Check the thread again.

Well I just got off the phone with Woodstock. I can not use the progress hybrid. My hearth is 24 in wide and the stove is 29 inches wide, so part of it would have to be recessed into the fireplace. he said that won't work because its a side loading stove and the controls are in the back. Not to mention the stove is 33 1/2 inches tall and my fireplace opening is 32 1/2 inches tall. he said Id have to modify the hearth which I am not doing. So any other suggestions on stoves lol?
Did you discuss the Ideal Steel with them? The hearth would need an extension but that may not be as big a deal as it sounds. Depends on the hearth.

Take a look at the 3 cu ft Pacific Energy Summit insert. It looks like it will fit.

Well I just back from a local stove dealer. We discussed my situation and he recommended the Jotul 500 or 600 depending on my budget. Non cat stove. He wasn't a fan of the cat stoves it sounded like. Any experiences with Jotul 500 that anyone can share?

Status
Not open for further replies.