Just ordered a new insert! A couple questions and some thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone

First off, thoughts, I just want to say thanks so much to all for being active members of this community! I'm excited to join. I've been reading the forums seemingly non stop for the past month or so trying to sort out what to buy and educate myself on topics ranging from wood seasoning, proper burning techniques, insert and manufacturer reviews, catalytic vs non etc.

I finally settled on a Lopi Freedom (wanted the Freedom Bay but was shy on clearance by about 4 inches), it was between that and the PE Summit, also briefly considered the Buck 91 before I ruled out catalytic. I ended up going with the Freedom as I really liked the dealer and installer they work with. Equipment should be here and installed in the next 3 weeks! Just in time for XMas, my wife told me this is my gift, the gift of a budding wood burning addiction, little does she know!! :)

So now that the ball is rolling, I'm trying to figure out some things.

First question for you, does anyone have a preferred accessory set? Specific items that are going to make regular wood, insert, and ash maintenance easier? I have an old fireplace set I was using for the open hearth but I'm not clear that I even need a poker and log lifter with an insert. So I'm considering at least the following accessories as must haves: Wood moisture meter, Ash bucket + Shovel, indoor log rack for the kindling and logs to be used that day (must be functional and ascetically pleasing, aka wife approved). And that's about it, am I missing anything? Ash vac? Already have most of the things I need for wood, chainsaw, maul, axe, hatchet, grenade, etc. (come to think of it, all handy for a zombie invasion too)

Second item is about air distribution and whole house heating. My house is about 2600 sq ft, mostly open floor plan but a few of the bedrooms are tucked around "L" shaped hallways. I've read extensively in the forums on the ideas of floor fans, people's general experience using HVAC ducts and furnace fans (mostly fail though some with luck here) and I'm thinking about trying my luck with using my HVAC ducts and my furnace fan to help move the air around the house.

Background: We live in a pretty mild climate, coldest nights are in the upper teens and more regularly in the 30's (downright balmy for most of you!). I just did a non scientific mid-day test of my heat loss via my furnace fan and only measured a loss of about 3::F, The air has to go into the (single) cold return that's in the same room as the furnace about 30 ft away, near the ceiling, through the attic, to the furnace and then down through the crawlspace to get to the far bedrooms but even at the farthest point the drop in temp was only about 5::F. Either it's almost room temperature in the attic and crawlspace or the original HVAC installers did a really good job... I'm also planning on adding an additional return in the same room as the insert at the very top of the cathedral ceilings where the skylight "pools" are. This is surely where all the heat will build up so in theory should help with heat distribution. Additionally, I have ceiling fans in every room, plan is to have them on in the open common areas (and the bedrooms??) pushing air down to also help with circulation.

So I guess my question on the above is, do you all think I'm crazy? !!!

Some quick thoughts on tools:

A shorter handled set (with an ash rake) is better for an insert.. What I have:
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Firep...ts/Pewter-Handled-Mini-4-Piece-Black-Tool-Set

I don't use an ash bucket. I use an old saucepan that I can hold in the stove, load, and put the lid on before removing.
Empty that outside into a metal pail with lid.

I use this to hold the next load of wood. Nice because it contains the chips and such, and I can easily hide it behind the recliner.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/42721?feat=510044-GN1&page=dura-tough-standing-log-carrier

I keep a few days supply in the garage in a wood ring.

Gabe

Hey Everyone Hi . . . and welcome . . . what's with the avatar. I like it. Not sure what exactly it is . . . but I like it.

First off, thoughts, I just want to say thanks so much to all for being active members of this community! I'm excited to join. I've been reading the forums seemingly non stop for the past month or so trying to sort out what to buy and educate myself on topics ranging from wood seasoning, proper burning techniques, insert and manufacturer reviews, catalytic vs non etc. Yeah, lots of lots of information to digest. I remember when I first came on here . .. felt like I was cramming for a major test as I did so much reading.

I finally settled on a Lopi Freedom (wanted the Freedom Bay but was shy on clearance by about 4 inches), it was between that and the PE Summit, also briefly considered the Buck 91 before I ruled out catalytic. I ended up going with the Freedom as I really liked the dealer and installer they work with. Equipment should be here and installed in the next 3 weeks! Just in time for XMas, my wife told me this is my gift, the gift of a budding wood burning addiction, little does she know!! :)

So now that the ball is rolling, I'm trying to figure out some things.

First question for you, does anyone have a preferred accessory set? Specific items that are going to make regular wood, insert, and ash maintenance easier? I have an old fireplace set I was using for the open hearth but I'm not clear that I even need a poker and log lifter with an insert. So I'm considering at least the following accessories as must haves: Wood moisture meter, Ash bucket + Shovel, indoor log rack for the kindling and logs to be used that day (must be functional and ascetically pleasing, aka wife approved). And that's about it, am I missing anything? Ash vac? Already have most of the things I need for wood, chainsaw, maul, axe, hatchet, grenade, etc. (come to think of it, all handy for a zombie invasion too). I have a woodstove, but I actually prefer my smaller handled tools -- mostly I use the shovel to move things rather than have the poker accidentally poke a hole through my baffle (although it is pretty tough in the Oslo.) Other "tools" I mostly use include a covered metal pail for dumping the ashes into outside, small whisk broom and dust pan for the inevitable mess on the hearth, Super Cedars, matches and thermometers. I have an ash vac that I use occasionally -- works well, but very, very noisy.

Second item is about air distribution and whole house heating. My house is about 2600 sq ft, mostly open floor plan but a few of the bedrooms are tucked around "L" shaped hallways. I've read extensively in the forums on the ideas of floor fans, people's general experience using HVAC ducts and furnace fans (mostly fail though some with luck here) and I'm thinking about trying my luck with using my HVAC ducts and my furnace fan to help move the air around the house. You may want to try the "fan trick" to move the heat around the home . . . could be tricky with a L-shaped home though . . . point a fan on the floor towards the insert to move the heat.

Background: We live in a pretty mild climate, coldest nights are in the upper teens and more regularly in the 30's (downright balmy for most of you!). I just did a non scientific mid-day test of my heat loss via my furnace fan and only measured a loss of about 3::F, The air has to go into the (single) cold return that's in the same room as the furnace about 30 ft away, near the ceiling, through the attic, to the furnace and then down through the crawlspace to get to the far bedrooms but even at the farthest point the drop in temp was only about 5::F. Either it's almost room temperature in the attic and crawlspace or the original HVAC installers did a really good job... I'm also planning on adding an additional return in the same room as the insert at the very top of the cathedral ceilings where the skylight "pools" are. This is surely where all the heat will build up so in theory should help with heat distribution. Additionally, I have ceiling fans in every room, plan is to have them on in the open common areas (and the bedrooms??) pushing air down to also help with circulation.

So I guess my question on the above is, do you all think I'm crazy? No more than the rest of us . . . !!!

The avatar is a strange image of a seemingly unhappy cat wearing sunglasses and smoking a cigar. It's strange and it called to me the day I saw it so I have been using it as my avatar ever since!

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll post pictures of my new insert and install process when it's all done!

Reactions: firefighterjake
I second the suggestion for the coal rake. One of the most important tools, IMHO. I also suggest welding gloves. They will save your skin many times over. An IR thermometer will also come in handy many times. A small paintbrush to clean the fan blades and I like to use a bigger one rather than a broom to clean around the insert.

Have fun with your new hobby. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.