Just ordered a Woodstock Progress stove today!

Photog200 Posted By Photog200, Jan 2, 2018 at 2:55 PM

1. Rearscreen

Rearscreen
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2014
    Loc:
    Vermont
    The answer is yes for a back up cat. Why not? I am on my 4th year with the original and the damn thing still takes off. But I know I am on borrowed time. So, if I begin to run into troubles here in H-E-double hockey sticks VT at -19 degrees, I just go to my closet rather than a call and potentially a back order wait. But no rush, just go to their picnic in Sept (did they have one last year?) and buy one then. I think you should be more concerned with what type of chili will you make this year on the left burner and think about a back up cat next year.

2. Calentarse

Calentarse
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2011
    Loc:
    MD
    My parents have one and it sure is a beautiful appliance. It’s fit and finish amazes me. The cook top is pretty cool, and they too leave the top piece of stone flipped up with a cast iron pot on the middle burner. You can simmer, slow boil, and all out boil on those burners with regular cookware, and if you have an accident, just flip the stone down and no one can see it.

My brother, dad, and I moved it in. Dad had it delivered to his work and then used a forklift to put it in his Silverado. From there, like the couple on the forum mentioned earlier did, we rolled it on a ramp into the house on a 4 wheeled dolly. Getting it onto the hearth was the hard part and nearly killed us. I think it says it’s weight in black and white all over the package it comes in, something upwards of 740lbs.

Other than the weight, the only negatives if I recall correctly are the catalyst needing to be cleaned and when burning on high a lot of the heat going up the chimney = lots of wasted wood.

I like the side load because you never get roll outs. The grated bottom is also nice so the ashes fall right into the pan. His glass is always clean too. The fire show from the dual burning technology was also a novelty for me since the stove I have doesn’t have that. On a hot reload, that thing looks like a propane burner lit up. You’ll sit and stare for hours. Congrats guys!

Highbeam and Photog200 like this.
  3. Photog200

Photog200
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2018
    Loc:
    Central NY
    Thanks for that post, I really enjoyed reading of your experience with the stove. I look forward to getting it so I can make my own memories with it.

4. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    Definitely get another cat, I have a backup just in case. As far as putting it together Woodstock packed it with the small pallet to make it easy. They have a video on you tube that shows how to put it together, I watched it twice before I picked the stove up and it went together super easy following their instructions.

Photog200 likes this.
  5. georgepds

georgepds
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2012
    just a hint.. the movers laid down plywood over my softwood floors when bringing in the WPH. It's so heavy the dolly wheels will leave gouges in an unprotected floor

6. flhpi

flhpi
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 13, 2009
    Loc:
    Southern Ohio
    Congrats on the new stove. I’m looking forward to see pics of the final install and your thoughts / review.
    ECCE4C85-A464-439F-BC39-001DBD3B1AE8.jpeg

Woody Stover and ED 3000 like this.
  7. Photog200

Photog200
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2018
    Loc:
    Central NY
    Thanks for the tip! I did see that on a Youtube video and have 3 sheets ready to go.

8. Photog200

Photog200
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2018
    Loc:
    Central NY
    Thanks! I really like your install, looks like the four legged friends like it too!

9. Photog200

Photog200
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2018
    Loc:
    Central NY
    I subscribed to Woodstock's Youtube channel and I did not see a video like you were describing. I even have done a search on all videos with Woodstock stoves. Do you possibly have a link to that video, would love to watch it.

10. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    Cats and dogs can agree...

11. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    I'll look when I get home.

12. Joyboy

Joyboy
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 22, 2017
    Loc:
    Wyoming
    I was under the impression that the hybrids excelled at medium to med-high burning. I think flue temps rise on every stove when you start opening it up. Do you see a rise in your ashford when you start opening it up?

13. Calentarse

Calentarse
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2011
    Loc:
    MD
    I do, but not as much as him. He even made the comment that if wasn't much better than his old smoke dragon when he runs it like that.

14. Joyboy

Joyboy
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 22, 2017
    Loc:
    Wyoming
    Hmm. He’s saying a stove with secondary combustion and a catylitic combuster isn’t much better than his smoke dragon. Hope something isn’t wrong with it. Mine is significantly better than that. Even though I can go through a full load in about 3 hours if I choose. It clears out the room when I do that. Lol

15. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    Yeah not sure what he means by that. I can get mine up over 650 and believe me most of the heat is in the house. I can burn a load down in maybe 6 hours but not 3.

16. Joyboy

Joyboy
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 22, 2017
    Loc:
    Wyoming
    Yeah, we have a bunch of spruce around here. Some of it is really lite. Like balsa wood. I think about building a plane when I pick up a piece. It’s not my overnight wood. Lol

17. Calentarse

Calentarse
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2011
    Loc:
    MD
    Yea I don't know if he was just pontificating or what. I know his smoke Dragon held a heck of a lot more wood but there's no way it gives just as much heat as his PH on high. I think he sees how much more quickly it burns wood when it's on high every single day and it's just a sensation that it isn't any better. I'm sure he's getting more heat than before.