just picked up a jotul 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

against88

Mar 1, 2020
crestline ca
hello,

first off, thanks for being a wealth of information as i research wood stoves for my cabin in crestline CA (southern california, 4500 feet). this is my first time exploring the world of burning wood outside of fireplaces and camp fires, and its been fun and informative.

i found an older jotul #3 (1983-1988 per the jotul stove identification doc) in seemingly solid shape.

my cabin has a corner brick chimney/hearth, with a 6" outlet about 5 feet off the ground. the corner walls have brick starting about 3 feet up at the joint of the wall/chimney, and moving down at an angle until the hit the floor about 2 feet out from the base of the chimney (meeting the edge of the hearth bricks). i'll try to snap some photos when i'm up there tomorrow. i've included a picture of the stove.

my question is regarding the clearances. the jotul installation and operating instructions have various clearances, but don't mention allowing a corner installation with reduced clearances using a double wall pipe (or with top exit + one 90 degree )... does that mean i cant use the 13" clearance with the double wall pipe?

if so i may have to save this for my other unit and look for a smaller unit or one with lower clearances.

(bonus question - there is a small corner of the glass cracked off, probably less than a square centimeter gap, not noticable from the outisde... any chance i could just oven cement that closed to prevent extra air coming in and hold off replacing it?)

thanks!

Attachments

• jotul #3 white.jpg
    jotul #3 white.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 116
Pretty certain that means you need to refer to the NFPA 211 clearance reduction guidelines. If the manual mentions a corner clearance with rear heat shield, that's what you're looking for, just reference that with double wall pipe corner clearances. However, if you don't have the rear heat shield, you will have to install one on the wall or stove (likely wall).

Sidenote, your cabin is 4500 sq ft? That's huge. This stove won't heat much of anything in there, it's pretty small.

thanks for the reply, i wasn't sure if a later jotul might have the proper clearances that include the #3 or there was a standard listing i would have to use (i'll look up the NFPA211 requirements, i was reading the sticky in this forum but wasnt sure it applied)

correction - my cabin is aprx 400 square feet, at 4500 feet elevation. will edit my original post! (the edit button appears to exist for this post (pending approval from moderator) but not for my original post)

the nfpa211 clearance reductions don't seem to mention single vs double wall pipe, just the wall protection. their standard seems to be 36" (which is higher than the largest in the jotul installation instruction), so with the 24gauge steel + 1" air gap i'm guessing the 66% reduction to 12" should be fine. i'd be attaching it to the brick (allowing a gap at the bottom for air flow) so it should be fairly simple. time to google some wall protection installs for visual / aesthetic inspiration.

new question is whether the double wall pipe will be better than single. i'll do more searching based on this new concept, but as i see it now, people seem to like single wall pipe because it gives off more heat into the room (counter point: heat with the stove, not the pipe) and price, where as double wall pipe should keep exhaust gases hotter, moving quicker, and there for less creosote build up.

edit - seeing as how this stove is probably a bit oversized for the 400 sqf cabin, and the exhaust is just a short vertical run to a 90* into the chimney outlet, i think double wall will be worth the expense to keep the creosote build up to a minimum during times when stove isn't operating at its peak temps.

Last edited:
Double wall pipe generally lowers the pipe clearance to 6" but your minimum clearance would still be 12" on the stove. People here always bring up how important it is to line the chimney. All I'll say is this: an insulated 6" pipe will draft better than a ceramic lined chimney and a wood stove is a lot easier, safer, and fun to operate with a good draft.