Just removed two olive trees from my yard. How's the wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herdo

Nov 10, 2014
Glendale, AZ
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. Let me start by telling you I don't have a wood stove, just a fireplace. I enjoy using it in the winter as much as possible, and in Phoenix it works just fine to keep me warm. I just recently bought a 1/4 cord of shaggy juniper and I am loving it!

Just today I had 2 olive trees removed from my yard. I have no idea what type of olive tree they are, but I can tell you that they are very dense, very heavy wood. Right now the trees are sitting in my yard as rounds about 16" long each. I probably have half a cord or more in wood from these two trees. I plan to split it tomorrow into small pieces.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with olive wood and if there is anything I should know. I've read that it's in the same family as ash, so it should make great firewood when seasoned.

Olive is a beautiful wood, with a complex grain pattern... you might want to call up any local woodworkers you know.

I'd burn it if nobody would take it... but that just seems wasteful. You can probably trade that half cord for a full cord of something else.

Ah, yea I was reading that. I will look around and see if I can find someone interested. I don't know any woodworkers and I live in a very urban area so I'm not sure if it would be worth hauling it out somewhere. I'll give it a shot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.