Just saying HI!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
I'm new to this forum but not new to wood heat. Grew up with it and I've been heating or supplementing with wood most of my life.

My current home has natural gas central heating but I supplement it with a RSF Onyx burning on average 4 to 6 bush cord of mostly Black Ash. I get it in 8 foot lengths in the round, dropped off in my yard.

I also cull off a few cord of whatever dies (mostly Poplar, a bit of Elm, Birch, Ash) nearby on my 18 acre plot. I'll post some pics later.

Where abouts in ONT. are you?
Right next to the Canada/USA border half way between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg. I bought my RSF in Steinbach MB.

LLigetfa said:
Where abouts in ONT. are you?
Right next to the Canada/USA border half way between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg. I bought my RSF in Steinbach MB.

Ah yes. Near Ft. Frances I imagine.
I have relatives in Dryden, Vermillion Bay, and Red Lake Road, so I'm familiar with THAT part of N.W. Ont.

Welcome,

I'm sure glad your weather usually moderates before it gets here!

Jim

jbrown56 said:
I'm sure glad your weather usually moderates before it gets here!

Speaking of the weather... we didn't get any of the snow the Dakotas got. I saw on the news they got 4 feet in places! We got that weather system as rain and then it turned cold on Friday and we got about an inch of snow. Woke up to -7C this morning. Got the fire rekindled before I even put the coffee pot on.

The RSF Onyx is not the best to hold coals overnight. Depends how much ashes there are. Not cold enough yet to stoke it up at bedtime.

Welcome LLigetfa. Hold on, the cold isn't far away now and you'll be stoking that thing at bedtime.

Oh man, you might be more accurate than those weather guessers on TV. Now they are saying it's going down to -9 or -10C tonight! Gonna clean out some ashes to get more heat.

I need to replace the door gasket too. 10 years is a good run for the original. Might as well pick that up on the way home.

LLigetfa said:
...going down to -9 or -10C tonight!
I need to replace the door gasket too... Might as well pick that up on the way home.
Reached -10 already.

The local store only has door gasket in 6 foot lengths. I need 7-1/2 feet so will cross the border tomorrow to see what they have State side.

LLigetfa said:
LLigetfa said:
...going down to -9 or -10C tonight!
I need to replace the door gasket too... Might as well pick that up on the way home.
Reached -10 already.

The local store only has door gasket in 6 foot lengths. I need 7-1/2 feet so will cross the border tomorrow to see what they have State side.

Try Crappy Tire. ;-)

Jimbob said:
Try Crappy Tire. ;-)
That's where I was. Only 6 footers.
Will try Menards tomorrow.

I ordered a new gasket from the RSF dealer in Thunder Bay this spring but still haven't got it. He's probably pissed that I bought my last stove from Penners.

Menards had Rutland Grapho-Glas 5/8" rope in 7 foot lenghts so I picked one up. Not sure why RSF says it needs 7-1/2 feet because I measured the old one to be less than 7.

I was late getting home so I left the old one in and made a fire. Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to +2C so will change it out then.

Changed the gasket tonight. The Rutland is a much coarser weave and not as stiff as the original. The stove is much happier with a well sealed door.

Status
Not open for further replies.