Just Up and Quit in the Middle of a Burn!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AbeAinPa

Dec 30, 2008
Southeastern Pa
My blowers just stopped working in the middle of a burn. Power is fine, no tripped circuits, switch was still turned on. I'm guessing the thermal switch, anyone ever had this happen to them?

If you crank up the fire and get the stove hotter, does the blower come back on?

I did put a couple more splits in but I didn't want to fire it too much without the fan running. Normally the fan runs for several hours after the last load coals, and I'm almost positive that the stove was more than hot enough to have kept the thermal switch kicked on. I bypassed the rheostat after the stove cooled a bit (but at which point the fan would normally have still been running) but have not tried bypassing the thermal switch. The manual my stove came with does not show wiring diagrams and such, any ideas how to identify which wires go to the TS and how to do the jump?

Typically the thermal switch is a simple solid-state SPST wired in series on the hot wire along with the speed control. So just follow the mains in and you should find the switch either before or after the speed control but before the blower itself. The quickest test/fix would be to bridge (bypass) it with a short wire section connected to either side of the switch. If it's easier you could bypass both the thermal switch and the speed control, since they are in series (i.e. just power the blower directly). If the fan runs then it was the thermal switch that failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.