Keeping Glass clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jakee, you said you have burned only cherry. I like cherry firewood, it is a fine firewood. But, I do find that it is sooty. I have no problem with the glass on my furnace if I burn it hot. But if I try to damper it down, it will get the glass sooty. More than most woods that I burn. I think that is a bit inevitable with cherry.
I'm about to purchase new wood as I'm almost out, that could be part of the issue. I'll try to get oak or ash next.
Thanks for your input.

The black soot burns off quickly with the next hot fire. Its the white haze that is tough to remove if you let it go too long.

The black soot burns off quickly with the next hot fire. Its the white haze that is tough to remove if you let it go too long.
Not for me. I don't get any white haze and the sooty dark haze that gets on the glass is not that easy to remove. I've found the easiest way is vinegar and a glass scraper. Then rinse off with water.

I see Rutland makes a cleaner specifically for White haze. Ill be trying that out on the 30 ASAP.

Paper towel dipped in a little vinegar has always worked perfectly for me but my glass never gets too bad with my tube stove. I suspect people with cats have more of a problem to deal with.

Update on the white haze cleaner. Both of my NC-30s have the white haze . The rutland cleaner specifically for cleaning "White Haze" had no effect at all on either of them. I guess Ill either have to live with it or replace the glass. Kinda pricey for such a small door though, $170 from Englander website. Just a shop stove anyway,so ill probably just try to keep it from getting any worse.

Update on the white haze cleaner. Both of my NC-30s have the white haze . The rutland cleaner specifically for cleaning "White Haze" had no effect at all on either of them. I guess Ill either have to live with it or replace the glass. Kinda pricey for such a small door though, $170 from Englander website. Just a shop stove anyway,so ill probably just try to keep it from getting any worse.

Did you try using vinegar and/or lemon juice? I had a haze for a year or so and after using one of those products (I cannot remember which it was) with a bit of elbow grease the haze was removed.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Water works fine for me, white haze wipes right off. Rarely have anything brown. This applies to our Buck stove and the Kuma. Well seasoned wood helps I feel too.

I used paper towel dipped in ashes ,then windex to clean the glass after.inside and outside of the glass for 10 years on my enviro stove and doing the same on my osburn.never had an issue.just saying.
Reading your post, I tried using damp newspaper dipped in ash to clean the glass. The results were amazing! Virtually no scrubbing necessary. Once scrubbed, I used another piece of newspaper to remove any residual streaking. Best tip yet!

When we first got our new stove someone here recommended cleaning the glass with bottled water/paper towel...

...some well waters contain mineral deposits that would over time stain or frost your glass. Glad I listened, out glass today is just as you see in my avatar.

I have only burned seasoned cherry so far. I have no issues when the fire is hot or after everything catches good and turning the air down.
I beleve the smoke stains happen when I dampen it down fully at the end of the night. It seems every couple days I have to keep after it.
Anyone else have this problem?
Any special way to keep the glass clean besides windex?
The manual just said to use a non abrasive cleaner.
Any help or advice?

Thanks in advance guys

View attachment 271258
As others have said the Rutland Blue Cream cleaner works the best. It is easy and your glass will look like new every time. No razors or scraping just a bit on a wet paper towel then polish with a dry paper towel. Fast and easy. I bought mine at Home Depot