Jan Pijpelink Posted By Jan Pijpelink, Jan 9, 2015 at 2:02 PM

1. tlc1976

tlc1976
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Northwest Lower Michigan
    I had a Sherwood, which I hear is just a Tile Fire without the tiles in the side shields I loved it. My secondary chamber plate was warped a little, but not enough to affect the function.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PlanB

PlanB
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2019
    Loc:
    South Jersey
    Good to hear. Yes I just saw your post from January about warping it and funny thing is "thats one of the post I read before going over to look at it. So I knew where to look for cracks & warping. The guy asked what I was looking for ? I said "I dont know a thing about wood stoves and from what I read online they say to "Look for cracks ,warping and rust. LOL like I knew what I was doing
    I'm in EHT(egg harbor township)

Jan Pijpelink likes this.
  4. PlanB

PlanB
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2019
    Loc:
    South Jersey
    Do you no what this piece is ? When I transported the stove I had it on its side and this came from somewhere
    IMG_2884.JPG

5. PlanB

PlanB
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2019
    Loc:
    South Jersey
    And an update ,,,I didnt think Id be getting the old stove out already but I did. I'm hoping to fire this stove up tonight after work
    LOL look at this thing. When I bought the house 20+ years ago this came with the house,and was in great shape. But I burned alot of mogohany,& ipe decking. I never found what size room the kent tile fire is capable of heating but I'll find out. I figure its 5 times smaller but 100% more
    efficient .

IMG_2872.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    My stove didn't have that. I have seen a few more Kent stoves but not with that. I don't believe it belongs to the stove at all.

7. PlanB

PlanB
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2019
    Loc:
    South Jersey
    Thank you

8. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, it looks like a simple wire trivet, not a stove part.

9. wicksdoug

wicksdoug
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 15, 2019
    Loc:
    Bend OR
    Hi - new to the forum. I have a Kent LEM tile fire. It looks like it needs new fire bricks - several are cracked that I can see. Any parts sources in the US? TY

10. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    The Kent Tile Fire was designed to be used without firebricks. Can you post a picture of the stove?

11. wicksdoug

wicksdoug
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 15, 2019
    Loc:
    Bend OR
    Hey, Jan - here you go. Cracks in the back brick.

Attached Files:

12. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    That is a rare Tile Fire. The one I had and many others I've seen had no fire bricks. The manual states it should be used without bricks. But I can see the brick supports in yours. Spare parts are very hard to get. I guess any firebrick will do. You can also look here: https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/details/27117/Tile-Fire/27120.html

13. wicksdoug

wicksdoug
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 15, 2019
    Loc:
    Bend OR
    Thank you - appreciated.

14. PlanB

PlanB
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2019
    Loc:
    South Jersey
    Yeah mine doesn't have any bricks. Pull the bricks out and see what you have.Did you buy the unit new or used? Maybe previous owner added the bricks

15. wicksdoug

wicksdoug
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 15, 2019
    Loc:
    Bend OR
    The stove came with the house I bought - I think it's been here since the house was built in 1976 - the documentation is here, intact. I may try pulling out the bricks later this summer. Many things to do before the stove comes apart.

16. thechimneysweep

thechimneysweep
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Bellingham, WA
    The Tile Fire LEM (Low Emissions Model) was one of Kent's later offerings, sometime around the mid-80's. In this version, the secondary burn chamber with bypass was eliminated, and the firebox was lined with proprietary cast refractory panels, which were thinner but quite a bit heavier than standard firebricks. A center bracket held the two top panels at an angle to form a north-south peak at the center. The panels were cast from Kent's own recipe, and were far more refractory than typical firebricks, creating hotter firebox temperatures and a more complete burn, resulting in a reduction of the Tile Fire's already-low particulate emissions.

Don't try to remove the refractory panels: they become quite brittle with age, and there are no replacements available to my knowledge. The cracked rear panel shown in your photo is typical, and won't have a noticeable affect on efficiency.

wicksdoug and begreen like this.
  17. wicksdoug

wicksdoug
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 15, 2019
    Loc:
    Bend OR
    Thanks. Sounds like leaving it alone is the best path. It is a pretty sweet stove - throws good heat. Ty!