Jan Pijpelink Posted By Jan Pijpelink, Jan 9, 2015 at 2:02 PM

1. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    Picked up yesterday. A late 80's Kent Tile Fire in excellent condition.
    Needed minor cleaning and touch up.

Installed and fired up. Love it.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Fsappo

Fsappo
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 9, 2008
    Loc:
    Central NY
    ahh Memories. Got pic of the sides of the stove? How about the innards? Come on!

3. Huntindog1

Huntindog1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2011
    Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    I will post a picture of the inside when it is empty.

Attached Files:

Huntindog1 likes this.
  5. Fsappo

Fsappo
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 9, 2008
    Loc:
    Central NY
    That's sweet. Tile kind of matches the bricks on the fireplace. How much did you pay?

6. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    It heats very well. It is downstairs in a split level house, the cold section of the house and I increased the temperature (using a blower I took from a stove upstairs) with 10 F. It has no bricks (as it was designed) so, a significant amount of oak can go in. Last fill at 11 pm, gives me plenty of hot coals at 7 am to restart within minutes. Very pleased for only $250.

7. Fsappo

Fsappo
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 9, 2008
    Loc:
    Central NY
    That's a steal if there was no split welds or warped thingies in there. Great job

8. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    I checked everything with a bright flash light, went in there with my head for 10+ minutes, touching, feeling, rubbing all I could. Has been used little, well taken care of, I could not resist. All welding points are like "new". I put the stove on all sides to get all ash dust out before I installed it. Checked the secondary burner with pressurized air, no issues. Checked for "secret smoke" after I started it up, nothing. So I think it was a good purchase.

9. Huntindog1

Huntindog1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2011
    Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    Back in the day when I was in my early 20's like mid 1980's a local stove shop sold those and that was a state of the art wood stove back then and expensive.
    I was dreaming of the day I could own one. It was supposed to move air thru the house and heat other rooms with its convective design as air moves behind those hanging tiles and the tiles stored heat.

10. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    I noticed you can still find some decent ones on CL. Found a posting in the NYC area next week. Looked good (in the pictures) they were asking $300.

11. Huntindog1

Huntindog1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2011
    Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    I really dont have a need for one as my Drolet Myriad is a newer design and most likely more efficient.
    Those were the high tech stoves back then.

12. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    I guess you are right. I have a US Stove 1100 in a dining room upstairs, bought new 2 years ago. I think the TF does a better job. It might be because it has a much longer chimney pipe, but still...

13. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Good deal. That is a nice heater. Do you have a block-off plate in the damper area?

14. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    Yes, I do. At least if I understand correctly that you mean that big round heavy piece of metal attached to the long handle.

15. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    A block off plate seals off the damper area around the liner and has insulation above it. This stops heat off the stove from warming up the chimney and keeps the heat in the room. The result is higher output into the stove area. It's required for a stubbed in install, but also makes a nice difference for freestanders on the hearth. There are some links at the end of this article which show several installations.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/

16. Fsappo

Fsappo
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 9, 2008
    Loc:
    Central NY
    Nope, that's your damper in the stove. a Block off is a plate (sheet metal) that blocks the area around your pipe as it passes thru the existing damper.

17. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    What I have also done is lining the fireplace walls with SS panels and insulated the old smoke chamber of the fireplace with rock wool. Makes a huge difference as a lot of cold air came down the chimney when the (previous) stove was nut running for a few days.

18. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    Here you are.

Attached Files:

19. Fsappo

Fsappo
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 9, 2008
    Loc:
    Central NY
    Outstanding! Great shape it seems. That stove, in my opinion, is worth twice what you paid. enjoy every stick of wood you burn in it.

20. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    Thanks Fsappo, it is in great shape. No rust, no flaking, airtight, no cracks, no leaks. I really enjoy it and yes, I think it is worth much more.

21. PlanB

PlanB
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2019
    Loc:
    South Jersey
    4 year old thread but,,,Are you still using this Kent?Hows it holding up? Any pros or cons ? Iv been searching (for 2 years)for a good but cheap wood stove for pole barn. When ever I find something Im interested in,I google search it. I just read the searches that come from Hearth.com and saw mostly good opinions and what to look for on them.Its a KENT tile Fire CH. The stove was in such good shape and from what I read on here , A great price,I didn't even try to bargain with him. I still have to get a 4-5' piece of stove pipe and get the 275 gal oil tank converted to wood stove out which will be a chore in itself. But I'm hoping to get it up and running in a couple weeks

22. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    Sold it after I got it too hot. Excellent stove. Good memories. I saw one recently in SJ on CL. Will look for it.

BobMcG likes this.
  23. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    Just checked. It's gone.

24. PlanB

PlanB
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2019
    Loc:
    South Jersey
    Sold it because it got to hot?What happens when it gets to hot? Warp?
    I might have gotten the one your thinking of in SJ.?? $150 ?
    It was his father's. Bought it new in mid 80's for emergency's .Used it but not as the primary heat source. Stopped using it altogether in 99 and sat in the house since

IMG_0739.jpeg
    IMG_0741.jpeg

moresnow likes this.
  25. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, South Jersey
    That's the one. Good find. I got my secondary chamber warped. If there are no cracks, you will use this one for many more years.