Kent Tile Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
Picked up yesterday. A late 80's Kent Tile Fire in excellent condition.
Needed minor cleaning and touch up.

Installed and fired up. Love it.

Attachments

• IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 1,231
Reactions: T-roy_

It heats very well. It is downstairs in a split level house, the cold section of the house and I increased the temperature (using a blower I took from a stove upstairs) with 10 F. It has no bricks (as it was designed) so, a significant amount of oak can go in. Last fill at 11 pm, gives me plenty of hot coals at 7 am to restart within minutes. Very pleased for only $250.

I checked everything with a bright flash light, went in there with my head for 10+ minutes, touching, feeling, rubbing all I could. Has been used little, well taken care of, I could not resist. All welding points are like "new". I put the stove on all sides to get all ash dust out before I installed it. Checked the secondary burner with pressurized air, no issues. Checked for "secret smoke" after I started it up, nothing. So I think it was a good purchase.

Last edited:
It heats very well. It is downstairs in a split level house, the cold section of the house and I increased the temperature (using a blower I took from a stove upstairs) with 10 F. It has no bricks (as it was designed) so, a significant amount of oak can go in. Last fill at 11 pm, gives me plenty of hot coals at 7 am to restart within minutes. Very pleased for only $250.

Back in the day when I was in my early 20's like mid 1980's a local stove shop sold those and that was a state of the art wood stove back then and expensive.
I was dreaming of the day I could own one. It was supposed to move air thru the house and heat other rooms with its convective design as air moves behind those hanging tiles and the tiles stored heat.

Back in the day when I was in my early 20's like mid 1980's a local stove shop sold those and that was a state of the art wood stove back then and expensive.
I was dreaming of the day I could own one. It was supposed to move air thru the house and heat other rooms with its convective design as air moves behind those hanging tiles and the tiles stored heat.
I noticed you can still find some decent ones on CL. Found a posting in the NYC area next week. Looked good (in the pictures) they were asking $300.

I really dont have a need for one as my Drolet Myriad is a newer design and most likely more efficient.
Those were the high tech stoves back then.

I really dont have a need for one as my Drolet Myriad is a newer design and most likely more efficient.
Those were the high tech stoves back then.
I guess you are right. I have a US Stove 1100 in a dining room upstairs, bought new 2 years ago. I think the TF does a better job. It might be because it has a much longer chimney pipe, but still...

Good deal. That is a nice heater. Do you have a block-off plate in the damper area?

A block off plate seals off the damper area around the liner and has insulation above it. This stops heat off the stove from warming up the chimney and keeps the heat in the room. The result is higher output into the stove area. It's required for a stubbed in install, but also makes a nice difference for freestanders on the hearth. There are some links at the end of this article which show several installations.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/

Nope, that's your damper in the stove. a Block off is a plate (sheet metal) that blocks the area around your pipe as it passes thru the existing damper.

What I have also done is lining the fireplace walls with SS panels and insulated the old smoke chamber of the fireplace with rock wool. Makes a huge difference as a lot of cold air came down the chimney when the (previous) stove was nut running for a few days.

Outstanding! Great shape it seems. That stove, in my opinion, is worth twice what you paid. enjoy every stick of wood you burn in it.

Outstanding! Great shape it seems. That stove, in my opinion, is worth twice what you paid. enjoy every stick of wood you burn in it.
Thanks Fsappo, it is in great shape. No rust, no flaking, airtight, no cracks, no leaks. I really enjoy it and yes, I think it is worth much more.

4 year old thread but,,,Are you still using this Kent?Hows it holding up? Any pros or cons ? Iv been searching (for 2 years)for a good but cheap wood stove for pole barn. When ever I find something Im interested in,I google search it. I just read the searches that come from Hearth.com and saw mostly good opinions and what to look for on them.Its a KENT tile Fire CH. The stove was in such good shape and from what I read on here , A great price,I didn't even try to bargain with him. I still have to get a 4-5' piece of stove pipe and get the 275 gal oil tank converted to wood stove out which will be a chore in itself. But I'm hoping to get it up and running in a couple weeks

4 year old thread but,,,Are you still using this Kent?Hows it holding up? Any pros or cons ? Iv been searching (for 2 years)for a good but cheap wood stove for pole barn. When ever I find something Im interested in,I google search it. I just read the searches that come from Hearth.com and saw mostly good opinions and what to look for on them.Its a KENT tile Fire CH. The stove was in such good shape and from what I read on here , A great price,I didn't even try to bargain with him. I still have to get a 4-5' piece of stove pipe and get the 275 gal oil tank converted to wood stove out which will be a chore in itself. But I'm hoping to get it up and running in a couple weeks
Sold it after I got it too hot. Excellent stove. Good memories. I saw one recently in SJ on CL. Will look for it.

Reactions: BobMcG
Sold it a fter I got it too hot. Excellent stove. Good memories. I saw one recently in SJ on CL. Will look for it.

Sold it because it got to hot?What happens when it gets to hot? Warp?
I might have gotten the one your thinking of in SJ.?? $150 ?
It was his father's. Bought it new in mid 80's for emergency's .Used it but not as the primary heat source. Stopped using it altogether in 99 and sat in the house since

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg

Reactions: moresnow