Kent tile fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So a damper of some sort is necessary with this stove?
Yes they would not have designed one into the stove if it was not. The manual is pretty clear on it as well

I suggest to clean the bypass area first, lubricate and see what happens. The bypass damper is a solid piece of steel 5.5 inch in diameter and almost an inch thick. To get that warped you need to throw a grenade to it.

The stove is designed with the bypass damper, so yes. Typically a pipe damper is used for extreme draft situations.
Ok so what I’m getting at is if the damper puck is indeed warped is my stove completely done or can I get away with installing a pipe damper? Would hate to get rid of this stove mid season.

I suggest to clean the bypass area first, lubricate and see what happens. The bypass damper is a solid piece of steel 5.5 inch in diameter and almost an inch thick. To get that warped you need to throw a grenade to it.
Or be trying to control the stove with it by running it partially closed which would heat it unevenly. I don't know if it is warped or not but running the stove the way he was would do it if anything was going to.

Ok so what I’m getting at is if the damper puck is indeed warped is my stove completely done or can I get away with installing a pipe damper? Would hate to get rid of this stove mid season.
It would not operate as designed with out the built in damper. You could probably get through with one but it wouldn't work right.

C0F86F46-CE16-41DC-BA73-AD06227514D4.jpeg It’s hard to see but to the left in the pic the baffle is warped upwards so when the puck slides towards front of stove it comes into contact with baffle.

Yep, been over heated. Unfortunately, the rod on the damper is also the door lock. If you won't use the damper, you need to be careful not to over fire the stove. How does the combustion chamber look like from the front and bottom?

Yep, been over heated. Unfortunately, the rod on the damper is also the door lock. If you won't use the damper, you need to be careful not to over fire the stove. How does the combustion chamber look like from the front and bottom?
Looks fine from what I can tell

I think it is time to start looking for a new stove. And this time read and follow the manual so you don't damage it as well