KIDDE FIRE EXTINGUISHER RECALL

caferacer Posted By caferacer, Nov 3, 2017 at 2:24 AM

1. caferacer

caferacer
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 9, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    VirginiaIron likes this.
  2. armanidog

armanidog
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2017
    Loc:
    Northeast Georgia
    Thanks for this, I had two that will be replaced. I submitted the info on their website, it took about 5 minutes. They said they will send new ones out in 10-15 days.

VirginiaIron likes this.
  3. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Thanks for the heads up. Our house and RV extinguishers are both on the recall list.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    VirginiaIron likes this.
  4. VirginiaIron

VirginiaIron
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Central Virginia
    I had six recalled from a few years ago. It was a very pain-free and easy process. I will need to check this recall. Thanks for the reminder.

5. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Just got my replacement today.

6. Enplater

Enplater
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 6, 2017
    Loc:
    NH
    I have one that's needs replaced, thanks for the heads up

7. armanidog

armanidog
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2017
    Loc:
    Northeast Georgia
    I just got my new extinguishers after registering in November. They ran out of replacements. Much nicer extinguishers, made of all metal. The old ones had a lot of plastic parts.

8. Elle

Elle
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 20, 2012
    Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    this is great to know. I have two of them and one First Alert. Gotta call them tomorrow. Glad I jumped back on here.

9. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    There have been a few threads on this recall here, and I’ll say the same thing here I said in the last (and got flamed for it). Don’t buy cheap fire extinguishers with plastic handles. They’re really not much cheaper than good fire extinguishers, esp. when your life might someday depend on it.

I come from a many-generations long line of firefighters, and my father was a fire investigator, so I’ve seen many tragedies related to domestic fires.

10. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The replacements are all metal. Much nicer.

11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Yes, MUCH nicer, quite the upgrade, I was surprised when I pulled it out of its box!

12. Wingerr

Wingerr
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 16, 2018
    Loc:
    Islip, Long Island
    Interesting- I have a Kidde Force 9 Halon 2.5 lb extinguisher that apparently is no longer sold due to the ban on the manufacture of the gas, and it appears to be on the recall list. I wonder if they would just substitute a regular dry powder chemical type rather than the same type. Halon is a bit better for specialized applications where the powder residue from the standard ones may be a drawback.

13. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    This is a case where you definitely want to contact Kidde. I suspect you are correct -- they would offer you an ABC dry chemical extinguisher of similar size. There is a slim possibility they may offer you an extinguisher with a halon-gas substitute, such as Halotron or a similar chemical . . . but these extinguishers tend to be relatively expensive.

Incidentally, there is quite the lucrative market for large tanks of halon . . . the type you would find protecting a computer lab, computerized records, etc. This past Summer a company clearing out a warehouse offered me two tanks approximately 3-4 feet tall. I sold them to a company in California for a little over $1,000.

14. Wingerr

Wingerr
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 16, 2018
    Loc:
    Islip, Long Island
    You're probably right, if they don't sell them any more there wouldn't be any updated version for them to send as a replacement; they'd likely just send a regular type. With those prices for Halon, I'd have to consider if it would cost more than what it's protecting- lol

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

15. David.Ervin

David.Ervin
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jan 17, 2014
    Loc:
    O-H
    Apparently the extinguishers still "work" but can require what they call "excessive force" to actuate the plastic handle. In any event, we got new ones throughout the house, but saved one to teach the kids how to use them.
    c7zmO6Z.jpg

Ashful likes this.
  16. huauqui

huauqui
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2015
    Loc:
    Weeping Water, NE
    Glad I went around the house and checked them all. The interior extinguishers were fine but my two larger units in my garage were both on the recall. Thanks for posting this.

huauqui

17. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I went through this, got the new one a couple months ago now.

Any Canadians will need to check their extinguisher on a '.ca' website. I couldn't find mine at all or anything that looked close to the model number on the .coms I was on. But found it pretty quick once I shifted to a .ca site.