Kindling Blues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
I thought I knew how to start a fire. My hat is off big time to those prehistoric fire explorers. I have what I think is a very nice cord of wood. It's grey and cracked and makes a beautifully loud CRACK when I smack two pieces together. The logs burn ok. But when I split up a few logs into smaller pieces to use for kindling, they don't catch well at all. They hiss a lot and smolder. Moisture, of course. What can I do?

Thanks very much.

Use something different for kindling / firestarting? wax-based starters are ok, but we use them only when starting stone cold. I have some shredded cardboard that my hearth tile came shipped in - great stuff to start. I just take a little handful of that, and then some scraps of wood. if you can find someone gutting an old house, and they're throwing the wooden lath out, go dumpster diving for it before it gets wet. That stuff burns AWESOME. get as much as you can, and keep it dry.

You get a decent fire underneath those kindling/splits and you'll bake off the moisture fast enough.

I have other thoughts too - remember thar moisture is in all the wood. If you supplement with a compressed log product, it may help reach and maintain the higher temps you need to bake off the water and produce a hot stove. (i've probably preached that topic more than ppl here may like, but hey - it works for me...)

corrugated cardboard is my favorite firestarter.. I don't know what I will do when I run out of boxes from my kids xmas presents.

Cardboard: hit up your local package stores (note: in CT, that means a liquor store) or small food markets and get their boxes. Ours give them away by the pile to anyone willing to grab 'em. go for the non-glossy ones when possible.

Don't know what your firewood (types of that is) consists of but I always look for ASH for use as my kindling.

It works well for 2 reasons.

1, it is one of the easiest hardwoods in my area to split

2, it checks up and dries very quickly.

I set aside the nicest grained pieces for making kindling. Before the season starts, I split up about 5 or so 5 gallon buckets filled with the 3/4 in by 3/4 pieces.

I never have a need for more than a few pieces of that (about 4-5) and some newspaper to get things going.

I prefer the bottom to up, log cabin style fire building for my stove.

Others prefer top down or even the Tee Pee style.

pen

Option 1 - split them even smaller.

Option 2 - scrounge some kindling in the woods or parks or anywhere. During wind and storms, most of the stuff that drops is kinda dead. Yeah, I know, some isn't. But seriously, I get a ton of kindling just from small branches that drop from my oaks in the fall and winter - and it burns nicely.

Edthedawg said:
Cardboard: hit up your local package stores (note: in CT, that means a liquor store) or small food markets and get their boxes. Ours give them away by the pile to anyone willing to grab 'em. go for the non-glossy ones when possible.

That was one of the things I learned from my CT-born wife . . . when I first saw all the package stores I thought you guys must have been doing a lot of shipping! :)

Mass. Wine Guy said:
I thought I knew how to start a fire. My hat is off big time to those prehistoric fire explorers. I have what I think is a very nice cord of wood. It's grey and cracked and makes a beautifully loud CRACK when I smack two pieces together. The logs burn ok. But when I split up a few logs into smaller pieces to use for kindling, they don't catch well at all. They hiss a lot and smolder. Moisture, of course. What can I do?

Thanks very much.

Cardboard . . . it's the arsonist's not so secret tool . . . all kidding aside using cardboard is a good way to get things running quickly. If you have access to some cedar split it up small and put on top . . . or as an alternative you might want to see if you can pick up some softwood slabs from a lumber mill. In a pinch you can also use cedar shingles bought at your local hardware store . . .

Kindling! I use all the small branches that come down with the weather and the trees. NEVER have to buy the artificial stuff like supercedars, Alabama fatwood, etc..

Break and cut up all the small pieces into a few cardboard boxes. It dries in no time while in the barn or shed.

Perpetual and free kindling!

been using these for two years - only need to use 1/4 of it at a time no need for kindling

big.gif

http://www.supercedar.com/ss.html

Any kin'lin you cut will dry in no time if you store it near the stove.

For Kindling I go to the Big Box Lumber store and buy 2 inch wide by 8' long fir strips for about a $1.50 and then put them to the chop saw. I'll have to ask them what they do with the crap ones that are bent like hockey sticks, nobody will buy 'em. I assume they scrap them out and toss them. I'll see if they'll give 'em away once scrapped.

Other than that I'll agree a quarter of a Supercedar kicks butt. I'm sold on those!

I prefer the Top down method, 2 medium splits at the bottom, a smaller one on top followed by criss crossing small tinder splits, and then even smaller kindling on top. wedge a couple pieces of paper in the middle some where and one piece on top, light the top to establish a draft and then light the rest. 4 out of 5 I will get it with one match. once the fire is fully caught and there is some temp in the flue set it and forget it. The benefit of a good top down fire, it will allow it to burn for almost an hour unattended, when you get back you have a warmed up stove and a nice bed of coals.

Also splitting some tinder and kindling for the next fire, and setting them aside will give them some extra time to dry

I agree with madrone, pallets. They're free, dry (most of the time) and the cross members are big enough to light regular splits and get the fire going fast.

Go to your local lumber yard. Ask if they have any twisted, gnarly, broken or splintered wood they want to get rid of. If so, you will be happy to take it off their hands. Also ask for no-longer-needed pallets. Take it home, cut into 12" pieces and enjoy a few hours of relaxing splitting time. This process has worked for me.

Also be on the lookout for homes under construction. Sometimes they have lots of cuts too small for them to use. Ask if you can take these ends. Also ask if you can look in their construction dumpster for pieces of nominal lumber. They also might have pallets available for freebies.

I built my house 4 years ago and have been supplying my neighbors with kindling for three years. I still have enough for them and me for the next 5 years or so. This wood has been stored in my dry basement all this time and is excellent kindling.

A custom cabinet shop near me constantly has a free for the taking pile of long strips of wood from about 1x2 to shavings . Check to see if there is such a place near you .

I hand split Black Ash for kin'lin. It splits real easy, about the same as Cedar.

I just go out and gather sticks. The dog even helps. I have a huge maple that drops sticks like it's his job. under that tree is a gold mine of kindlin'

The popularity of store bought kindling is amazing. Most anyone that cuts or scrounges wood usually has access to the limbs and branches of those trees.

Lighting a fire with twigs, sticks, small branches and finally splits is most satisfying. A simple pleasure.

The best ive found is cedar fence boards.
They run about $2.25 a piece at Home Depot.
6'x8" cut into 10" lengths and split into thin strips with a hatchet.
I had some left over drops from a fence i built this summer, they start right
up and burn hot.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.