Kinetic vs hydraulic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don't mind pain, I just want it to come from something I enjoy more than swinging a maul. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Jazzberry
Every time I hurt myself to the point that I have to take a break from wood processing, it's from shifting huge rounds.

What I need is a modernized powder wedge with a 500 round clip!

I just got an electric Super Split. I have a lot of toys, but this is already my favorite, and I don't regret the high price tag. In the long run, it will probably be the cheapest option considering there is very little that requires maintenance (beyond some routine greasing) and can wear out over time. Also, it's really not that much cheaper than a larger (33ton+) hydraulic. The SS doesn't blink. Speedwise, I don't consider it overkill at all for my needs. I burn 3-5 cords a year, but I get the wood at various times. With this, I can be done splitting a scrounge hall in 30 minutes, or I can split an entire winter's worth of wood in an afternoon and get on with my life.

I'd been looking at the HF dual action splitter as well. But even though it has a *mostly* good reviews, if you read closely, they're mostly from fresh purchases. The first purchases of that machine are coming up on 2-3 years. I bet we're going to start seeing a lot of "piece of junk" stories. Also, I split some BIG rounds. I'm not sure if the HF can handle them.

Other big thing that I like about the SS is the ability to have it run on electric and still handle the big, gnarly rounds. Now I can have a conversation with my splitting partner(s) and not bother my neighbors.

I just got an electric Super Split. I have a lot of toys, but this is already my favorite, and I don't regret the high price tag. In the long run, it will probably be the cheapest option considering there is very little that requires maintenance (beyond some routine greasing) and can wear out over time. Also, it's really not that much cheaper than a larger (33ton+) hydraulic. The SS doesn't blink. Speedwise, I don't consider it overkill at all for my needs. I burn 3-5 cords a year, but I get the wood at various times. With this, I can be done splitting a scrounge hall in 30 minutes, or I can split an entire winter's worth of wood in an afternoon and get on with my life.

I'd been looking at the HF dual action splitter as well. But even though it has a *mostly* good reviews, if you read closely, they're mostly from fresh purchases. The first purchases of that machine are coming up on 2-3 years. I bet we're going to start seeing a lot of "piece of junk" stories. Also, I split some BIG rounds. I'm not sure if the HF can handle them.

Other big thing that I like about the SS is the ability to have it run on electric and still handle the big, gnarly rounds. Now I can have a conversation with my splitting partner(s) and not bother my neighbors.
Sounds great I'm excited for you. Can you post a video of it splitting the larger rounds?

I'll let you know how the HF splitter does on year three, I bought the three year warranty just because it is harbor freight.
Though I am becoming more impressed with the quality of what they sell over the past few years.
I'm on a mechanics forum and they have multiple threads about what is good and trash at HF. They actually seem to be listening and demanding better quality from their suppliers.

The predator engine is a Honda clone, many people have just gone to Honda dealers for replacement parts, and had a perfect fit.
The motors are also fairly inexpensive right from the store.
The rest of the splitter is off the shelf parts, or something a welding shop could repair.
For the price I got new, I couldn't touch a used hydraulic splitter

The predator engine is a Honda clone, many people have just gone to Honda dealers for replacement parts, and had a perfect fit.
The motors are also fairly inexpensive right from the store.
The rest of the splitter is off the shelf parts, or something a welding shop could repair.
For the price I got new, I couldn't touch a used hydraulic splitter

I've been reading some of the reviews recently and most are from people just starting to use them (same with most of the YouTube videos). So it is hard to get an accurate gauge on how they are holding up. Also, if you read the lower star reviews, there are several mentions of lack of easy replacement parts and some of the connections not being standard sizes. That is a bit concerning. I know I am capable of fixing a machine, but not if I can't get the right parts. Getting the three year warranty was a very good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've been reading some of the reviews recently and most are from people just starting to use them (same with most of the YouTube videos). So it is hard to get an accurate gauge on how they are holding up. Also, of you read the lower star reviews, there are several mentions of lack of easy replacement part and some of the connections not being standard sizes. That is a bit concerning. I know I am capable of fixing a machine, but not if I can't get the right parts. Getting the three year warranty was a very good idea.

This is my third season using it, I just fired it up for the first time this year and split a big pile of wood. And this was after I left it outside all winter.
I do have a cover over the motor, as I have had the on off switch ground out when wet. Otherwise it is going strong, splitting some of the toughest maple I've ever seen.
I may have made one of those videos, I need to make an updated one, but all my wood is monster rounds that any splitter would be slow with. If I had a pike of 8 to ten inch rounds , I could show the speed. Instead I have rounds that are so heavy I have to use a ramp.

Reactions: saewoody
I was planning to do a video for you this weekend, but ended up pulling a muscle in my lower back as I was, ironically, loading up a round. But just to describe it to you, the SS has no problem pushing the bigger rounds. It's the little wedge that is an issue, so I usually have to flip the round a couple times to completely break it apart. I've seen people who have modded their SSs to add a larger cutting wedge. I will probably end up doing that. Not sure why the SS guys have such a dinky little wedge on their otherwise beast of a machine...

Sounds great I'm excited for you. Can you post a video of it splitting the larger rounds?

I'm sorry to hear that you pulled your muscle in your back. That's one reason why I'm building a lift on my splitter. On YouTube, there was a video of the kinetic splitter versus the harbor freight 20 ton. The kinetics unit has a much higher and more comfortable work surface and has a lift attached to the splitter but I think it's a manual unit.

Edit: I found the video by doing a search on the harbor freight 20 ton unit.

I'm sorry to hear that you pulled your muscle in your back. That's one reason why I'm building a lift on my splitter. On YouTube, there was a video of the kinetic splitter versus the harbor freight 20 ton. The kinetics unit has a much higher and more comfortable work surface and has a lift attached to the splitter but I think it's a manual unit.

Edit: I found the video by doing a search on the harbor freight 20 ton unit.

I've been trying really hard to find a video like that. Just picked up a used SpeedPro. I will update when I have more time. Edit: just realized I have seen that video. What I would love to see is the Harbor Freight splitter vs a 22 Ton Huskee, or something similar. That is a comparison I can't seem to find anywhere.

Last edited:
As the OP, I thought I would give an update for those who may be following the thread and/or contributed. I stumbled across one of the Speeco SpeedPro kinetic splitters on Craigslist the other day, so I bought it. I know they had their problems (this one does have the recall replacement parts), but I figure if nothing else it allows me to become familiar with how well a kinetic will work for me. And as long as it doesn't implode one me, I can probably sell it for what I paid for it. I am sort of looking at is as a long term rental, so I can hopefully save up for a higher quality kinetic. I've been using a 22 ton Huskee for the past few years, and in terms of speed/efficiency there is no comparison. The SpeedPro is much faster and goes through my elm way faster and way cleaner than the hydraulic ever did. Some of the larger elm took two hits, but even that is still significantly faster than the hydraulic.
Here is a pic. I didn't time it, but this took about 25-30 minutes.
IMG_5135.JPG

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Is this the one that requires 2 hands to operate the ram? Looks like it did a good job on that small stuff! What kind of elm did you split?

Is this the one that requires 2 hands to operate the ram? Looks like it did a good job on that small stuff! What kind of elm did you split?

I'm not sure what type of elm it was, but I know the hydraulic splitter wasn't a fan of it. I have another post somewhere that contains pics of the same type of elm. Here's the link.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/elm.161560/

At this point I have run some bigger stuff through it, like 16-18" diameter oak, maple, and some twisted black birch. No issues, all at half throttle.

Last edited:
I have the DR and it has worked well. If I can get it on the table it will usually split it.
IMG_20141008_184102_417.jpg
IMG_20141008_184134_023.jpg

I like your system but its still much easier with a vertical splitter when the rounds never leave the ground. For a non tilting splitter you do have a cool system figured out. The little splitter does look a little mismatched with that big round though. Reminds me of seeing a little Toyota pickup pulling a camp trailer.

That is a nice setup. How do you balance those rounds on your table? I would like t see that in moving pichers, please.

EDIT: Time for me to sell mine and get the DR.

I got a deal in the DR (used via CL). I think I'd get the super split if I was buying new.

How do I balance those rounds?
With all my might, steel toed boots and significant caution.
Those rounds in the pic are atypical. White Oak and heavy, but split nicely.

I've built a wooden work table (out of 2x4s) at the same level as the splitter's table to catch the far side half of the round after splitting it.
Works well for staging reasonable sized rounds too.

I've got a 4-ton+ of ash/oak to split... maybe I'll do a video.

I like your system but its still much easier with a vertical splitter when the rounds never leave the ground.

That is true for those who cut and split on site. For those of us who must bring the wood home, putting the rounds on the ground makes no sense. Once mine have been loaded into the truck, they never touch the ground again. Truck to splitter to wheel-barrow to stack.

Truck & splitter.JPG

Reactions: Ashful
I like your system but its still much easier with a vertical splitter when the rounds never leave the ground.

I cannot lift pieces like that anymore. Probably never should have. On the other hand, I do not like to take the time to shift the splitter vertical. It is low tech, I know, but for those really big rounds I find it faster and easier to use the maul to break them up into quarters.

Of course, I do not have elm to deal with....

Reactions: macattack_ga
I cannot lift pieces like that anymore. Probably never should have. On the other hand, I do not like to take the time to shift the splitter vertical. It is low tech, I know, but for those really big rounds I find it faster and easier to use the maul to break them up into quarters.

Of course, I do not have elm to deal with....

I also prefer quartering the really big stuff by hand.

Takes maybe 10 seconds to tilt a splitter.

Reactions: Ashful
I also prefer quartering the really big stuff by hand.

As the OP, I find it interesting you guys point this out because I prefer to do the same thing. I started this thread trying to sort out the pros and cons to each sort of splitter and ultimately I chose the kinetic and bought an original used Speeco SpeedPro. So far, so good. I've probably split about 2 cords by now.

I split at least 1/2 a cord of fresh oak about two weeks ago and the trunk rounds were in the 2' diameter range. I found it much easier to break them up with the Fiskars and run the pieces through the splitter. I have always preferred splitting horizontally because it is more comfortable. Also, when splitting vertically you need to continuously move the round to split it, which to me seems to be a lot of work. Plus getting the round to sit nicely on the little "foot" on the ground can be a real pain too.

And even though I was able to get those rounds up, it wasn't worth it because it would be too easy to give myself another hernia or tweak my back; and also at that diameter the split didn't carry all the way through the round so I would have to flip, or at least rotate, the round. And then once you split it all the way through half falls to the ground unless you've got a good sturdy table set up to catch it. Then you are picking up the half. I found it much more efficient to bust it up on the ground and then send it to the splitter. I would do (and have done) the same if I was using a hydraulic splitter.

IMG_7198.JPG
IMG_7200.JPG

Love this unit but had to sell it and order a new Super Split HD

Both have there place in my opinion

If I was messing with 2-3' rounds regularly the vertical hydro may have stayed in my shed- i dont so the SS HD was a great option anx cycle
Time is amazing from what I have seen

SS ships to me next week- cant wait