Q&A King woodburning stove,model # 006474

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My husband and I moved into this lovely country house this summer. The house is about 8 years old, all electric, and is heated with a heat pump (not my favorite heater) and a woodburning stove. There are 2 information plates on this stove. One says that it is a King, with the numbers 006474 in the corner (which I'm guessing is the model number). The other plate is located inside the door and says to remove ashes daily.

I opened up the stove and found that the ash box was so full of ashes that I had to scoop them out with a large spoon before I could remove the box, and then there was almost another ash box full of ashes that dropped down from the wood chamber. At least the ashes were all cold. Am I justifiably upset? Isn't this a fire hazard??
(webmasters note--always use a metal ash container with a lid)

I'll be shopping via the phone tomorrow to find a retailer for "King"
woodburners so I can get a manual (the previous owners didn't leave it),

Well, I cleaned all the ashes out of the stove. My other question is, what can one do with all those ashes? When we lived in the city, we sometimes put them in the flower bed, but mostly they went into the trash. However, now that we will have a LOT of ashes, I'm wondering if there isn't somewhere more appropriate to put them.

Answer:

They let the ashes build up way too high. I don't think it would cause an immediate fire, but it can lead to other problems like premature burnout of the grates and other firebox parts. If those parts are in fairly good shape, then probably no harm done. Wood ashes are great for a garden since they contain lots of potash !

King Stoves are no longer made, but you should be able to find some parts and manuals by checking with the parts suppliers listed at our Parts Place link below or by contacting the following company who provides some parts.

United States Stove Company
227 Industrial Park Road PO Box 151 South Pittsburg, TN 37380
Repair/replacement parts: Call 888-299-1440
Stoves, blowers, and accessories: Call 800-750-2723.

Link: The Parts Place

Status
Not open for further replies.