Kitchen wood stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andemary

Hearth Supporter
Mar 15, 2009
Canada
Anyone still use a kitchen wood stove? for cooking and baking?
I know I sure wish I had one. They are awesome for heating and cooking esp in the winter months. Summer is a different story. I remember my mom and grandmother having to cook on a wood stove in the summer months. It got pretty hot in our house. esp at canning time. I had an aunt that moved her stove outside in the summer months. Made sense.

Mary

I lived in a house for a few years with a wood cook stove. In the winter, it was my close friend. It took a season for me to finally learn how to cook well on it, but once I had it down, I loved it.

You aunt was a wise woman. Many places in this country had summer kitchens... outdoors.

I grill.

I've grilled since I can remember. I grill just about everything except salad and dessert. Grilled spiked fruit jello just doesn't work right. Although grilled romaine lettuce in a caesar salad is delicious. I don't grill beverages since I discovered the dangers of 151 rum. But I did grill a 'fortified' wine spiced 'grog' after snowshoeing one time. I can't remember how it turned out.

I grill over wood coals. Real hard wood is the best. My favorites are apple, cherry, hickory and mesquite. No 'filler' filled charcoal briquettes, artificial wax wood chip logs or such. Just premium hardwood. It's wonderful and you just cannot get the same flavor from one of those city gas grills either.

I grill inside and out. Inside all winter in my bake oven on top over the firebox of my TempCast. It makes a simple pizza into something very special. Outside grilling is for those hot, dog days of summer (yep, ther comin') when doing the same inside would heat the house too much. Outside I use the Big Green Egg. It's ceramic and has survived all weather grilling over 15 years now. It'll probably last longer than me.

I grill hot and fast and I grill slow and smokey. Hot and fast for searing in juices so well the thing actually squirts you when you cut into it. And that's a trade mark of a meal at my house. Guests have actually brought goggles to dinner a few times. Slow and smokey is for ribs, a big 'ole bird or a pork loin that I've 'rubbed'. It turns out so sweet and tender it makes you want to cry.

At my house, dinner's ready when the smoke alarm goes off. Then people show up outa nowhere...

Aye,
Marty

We have 2 cook stoves. One out in the summer kitchen. The current indoor cookstove is a Pioneer Maid. Its great and has the advantage of an airtight firebox. That doesn't sound like much because we are always talking about EPA etc but our other "old stove" is not air tight so it will not keep a fire very long.

Most jurisdictions have an exemption from EPA rules for cook stoves.
Food just tastes better on a wood cook stove.

Somewhere on this forum, there is an ad for Vermont stoves, that appear to be a cook stove... I tried to find it but couldn't, it might be on a rotating banner but it's somewhere on this forum...

Aha, found it, it's in the "green room"

http://www.vermontwoodstove.com/

Jay

Jay H said:
Somewhere on this forum, there is an ad for Vermont stoves, that appear to be a cook stove... I tried to find it but couldn't, it might be on a rotating banner but it's somewhere on this forum...

Aha, found it, it's in the "green room"

http://www.vermontwoodstove.com/

Jay

Those are some neat looking stoves. Wish I had the house for one.

pen

we heat 2240 sq ft house and cook with a waterford wood stanley cookstove with no backup anywhere except the jotul 100 and more wood. works good, cooks good, some of the best french fries and biscuits. after 25 years it was time to take it apart and do a complete rebuild. I put it all back together and it's a new stove. I've replaced the fire cheeks and bottom grate several times. paid $1000. in 1984. today at www.lehmans.com $5700. for enamel, a good birthday present for my daughter and her new granite veneered chimney. sweetheat :)

I live in an old farmhouse and we have a 1909 Empire Crawford Royal. 6 burner with a water tank and a small warming shelf. Been cooking with it for years. I don't know why but everything tastes better cooked with wood. Nothing like the smell of fresh bread cooked in the oven!! You just have to remember to rotate it while you cook or it will burn on one side.

I used to see them when appraising from time to time. Usually in a shed for cooking down sap.

Matt

Bryant Stove Works (www.bryantstove.com) in Thorndike, Maine has a great collection of beautiful, fully restored old kitchen wood stoves. There's a substantial crating fee in addition to freight charges, but they will ship.

I'm not planning on having one in the house (Wich is not event build yet)... I'm leaning more towards a inside gasifier boiler. But if we go deeper in the crisis, the kitchen will have the room to accomodate a cooking stove.

But I'm planning on eventually having a screen gazebo outside (Close to the lake )wich will be used as a Summer kitchen / living room. And I'm thinking on putting one in it.....

There is one guy here: http://www.gulland.ca/homenergy/stove.htm, who build what I call a piece of art for heating the house, the DHW and cooking.

Fi-Q not to hijack this thread but I am on my first year with a Tarm boiler and it has been a real pleasure to have a warm house with zero oil usage.I think a gassifyer would be a great idea.

I'm sure gasifier boiler are awesome. But, here in quebec, the electricity is 0.07$ / Kwh. The house that I'm planning to build will be pretty tight & well insulated so If I would only heat use electricity as a heat source. It would cost me about 1800 $ a year. If I add a regular 800$ EPA wood stove in the basement (With a small water jacket for DHW) my bill will probabbly frop to 1000$ a year. So, I think it's hard for me to justified 15 000 $ for a gasifier boiler with syorage tank and all the extra ! But, just for the project that it would be, I' thinking on putting one, eventuallyu !! Anyway, my cheminee will be 8 in'' just in case.... But, when I'll want to push it further, I'll open a post in the boiler room....

Oh!!... and for cooking. Even a regular wood stove can cook awesome wildgame stew when it slow cook for 12 hour in a dutch over... on the stove.... Hhhuuiummmm!!!!! Just the tought of it make me hungry !!

Status
Not open for further replies.