Kodiak Wood Stove Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KCan

Dec 3, 2023
Maryland
Hello, new member here trying to figure out how to use this wood stove that came with the house I bought last year.

• Serviced last year
• Attached blower is functional

From the inspection report:
• 13x13 TC flue relined with an 8 inch stainless steel liner. The stainless steel liner leads to and exhausts a wood burning stove insert. The mantle, hearth, stove, liner and draft are in good working order.

I know nothing about wood stoves, and I’ve been looking online for how to’s but to no avail. The inspection report never mentioned a damper, I looked from the inside of the wood stove and see no lever or chain of some sort to pull that can open or close a damper either. Google says make sure damper is open when you want to light a fire. So, does this thing have a damper? Also found on google that the 2 dials on each of the doors functions as some kind of vent? Honestly I don’t even know what I’ve read online anymore, so I’ve come here for some help.

Thank you in advance!

KC

IMG_3270.jpeg

The dampers are the 2 spiny things on the doors. Open them when you light or reload the stove. Close them down to regulate the burn speed and intensity.

You’ll want to burn dry wood. Don’t trust a seller that his wood is dry. Get a moisture meter and verify it’s dry.

Do you have enough protection in front of the stove? You’ll want 16” in front of the doors.

Reactions: KCan
Probably a dumb question, but, which way is open (clockwise/counterclockwise?).

Is it okay to do a test run with some grocery store sold wood, or those can’t be trusted either?

I didn’t measure, but I’m assuming there is? This is how it looks like.

Thank you!

IMG_3269.jpeg

The floor tiles look non combustible. You should be fine there. I think your stockings should be moved and the tree shifted to the left. If an ember explodes and hits a dry Christmas tree, it could be really bad.

Twisting the dampers to the right should close them.

Grocery store wood should be fine.

Reactions: KCan
The floor tiles look non combustible. You should be fine there. I think your stockings should be moved and the tree shifted to the left. If an ember explodes and hits a dry Christmas tree, it could be really bad.

Twisting the dampers to the right should close them.

Grocery store wood should be fine.
Thank you so much for making sure all my questions were answers! You’ve been very helpful! We’ll definitely move the stockings, and the Christmas tree further to the left, as you suggested.

Have a wonderful holiday!