Kozi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AVolk

Nov 27, 2015
Kelowna, Canada
Anyone had experience with Kozi stoves?

http://www.kozistoves.com/index.php

Specifically I'm looking at this model:

http://www.kozistoves.com/Product/BaywinPelletSeries/BWI-GD/Overview/

Seems to have lots of good features. I know its a cheaper model, but even expensive brands seem to have lots of issues. Any feedback? The dealer says they have been making this model for a long time. From a manufacturer in Winnipeg.

Its from a store in Kamloops, BC Canada. Website is pelletstove .ca
my first stove was a kozi shop heater. hated it. no heat.

There have been any number of Kozi users on the board, I don't recall anything devastating. The stoves have been around, or the name has, since 1978 and are built by APR in Canada. The model you are looking at looks to be a 40,000 BTU unit. How big an area are you looking to heat ?

Last year I'm pretty sure it was an owner of a Kozi who thought he had problems due to severe ash blocking up the burn pot and it turned out to be pellets. We turned him on to some low ash soft wood pellets and it all cleared up. A simple case of lousy pellets. Don't quote me on that but seems to me that was a Kozi. Maybe some other folks will chime in soon.

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for the reply

Heating about 1500 square feet (with electric backup) so it should be fine. I had a 23 year old whitfield advantage II T classic that needs a bout $500 in repairs. I hesitate to spend that much on a stove that old. I also has a fan that get noisier by the year.

I don't know if it's available in your area but a lot of people heating your sized area are liking the Castile Serenity. A low cost stove as pellet stoves go, easy to service , good heat.

But a lot of people like those Whitfield stoves, even pick them up used, abused etc, and put some money into them. Lets just say they have a certain following. I'm thinking US dollar but $500 isn't a lot of money to get a stove running into really good shape, assuming the structure is good.. Would the $500 include the noisy fan repair ?

Last edited:
I do not and have not owned a Kozi but a good friend had that stove. He still does actually. He has it for sale now. He did not hate it but he did not love it either. He just bought a new Harman about a month ago and is heating with it now instead.

He said it wasn't a bad stove but cold be picky on the pellets he would run. He also had a warped or messed up burn pot that he fixed. Easy for him but he owns a welding and fab shop. His was fairly dependable but he had to stay on top of it and clean it daily. He only used his three seasons and he bought it new. From what he has done and stated I don't think he was thrilled with it overall.

my first stove was a kozi shop heater. hated it. no heat.

Would you mind expanding on that...I'm considering buying their shop heater(its rated at 40k btu) Are you saying it didn't produce that amount of of heat or ????

How big an area were you trying to heat?

Thanks