Kuma Aspen LE, Alderlea T4 or Jotul F45?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Many experienced professionals screw up bad on roof flashing installs. Been doing it wrong for 30 years. You really need to educate yourself about how it’s supposed to be done even if you hire it out.
Unfortunately correct. Download the instructions for the Excel metal roof flashing as an example.
The kuma is a plate steel cat stove and the t5 a cast iron noncat. Either stove, properly sized, should be great. If you don’t care about cast iron looks then save the 1000$.
Yes, in that case the price comparison would be fairer with the PE Super without the cast iron jacket.

Reactions: Highbeam
The 26% tax credit on stoves and installation is a few thousand in your pocket on the right stove..

Only if it helps in lowering your tax liability. It's a "non-refundable" tax credit. So if you already receive a tax refund from the federal government, then you're unlikely to get any money in your pocket from this incentive.

Given the life of a stove, I wouldn't let a coupon decide what I buy either. Get the one you want to look at in the off season.

I agree about the "looking" at it everyday as a factor. If I go the wood stove route I've got order all the pipe. Seems obvious but other than a tape measure and a ladder how to I calculate EVERYTHING I need. In addition to lengths of pipes how do I determine the type / angle of support boxes I need for the transition area through the roof. I don't know the exact pitch of my roof but can get it from my builder. Pipe above and below the ceiling is the least of my concerns but ordering EXACTLY what I need for the area where the hole is cut through the roof is where I'm unclear. I want to make sure I order everything correctly and have on site so if by some MIRACLE I can find someone with some amount of experience to install I'll have what is needed. I have NO dealer support and the ONLY dealer near has NO experience installing through metal roofs. so I've got to order all the pipe and find someone to install. I'm actually back to considering a propane solution as I can't believe how difficult it is finding someone to do the install. I don't mind driving hours to go pick up an Alderlea T5 or have Kuma ship me a stove but still have to find someone to do the install which is turning out to be very difficult.

Pitch is easy. Look for the app Pitch Gauge.

Lay your phone on the roof and itll read out the pitch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210421-154044_Pitch Gauge.jpg
    Screenshot_20210421-154044_Pitch Gauge.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 152
Manufacturers have drawings and kits available to make sure you have all the materials you need.

You may want to look for a carpenter. They'll be handy enough to do the work.

OK, where is the best place for me to order pipe and all the other goodies besides the stove. My HVAC company is coming out the end of the week to talk about a possible propane solution but if I don't go that route I'll probably order a wood stove next week. Probably the Kuma or PE Alderlea T5. I really like the looks of the Alderlea T5 but it will be a 4 hour trip to pick it up in my trailer and cost about $800 more BUT I really appreciate the follow up I've received from Kuma. Even if I don't get a Kuma if you are looking at stoves and have a Kuma dealer to help you.......WHICH I DON'T........I think a Kuma is a great choice if your shopping. Kudo's to Jason at Kuma, I have no doubt Kuma has a GREAT product!

Back to pipe. Duravent or spend the extra money for Ventis or something else and again and more importantly where is the best place to order online. Thanks again and I appreciate all the spoon feeding. I'm going to need a bunch more of it to get this installed thanks to a total lack of any dealer support.

If you choose DuraVent, use their DuraTech pipe, it's a lot better than the DuraPlus value line. Woodstovepro.com has good pricing and service for online ordering. If you want Ventis, it is sold under the Champion brand by woodlandirect.com.

Decided on the Kuma Tamarack. Same stove as the Aspen except for cosmetics. Kuma was my original choice, then my Kuma dealer went out of business (retirement) which started a mad scramble for another good stove option. Thanks to Jason at Kuma for all his help to make a Kuma still possible for me! In these days and times its rare to run into a company that REALLY cares about helping their customers and offers help over, above and beyond just making the "SALE". Still haven't found a qualified installer but have a month or two to sort that out! Appreciate all the input in this thread!

Reactions: Russn77 and begreen
Have been using the Kuma Tamarack since early November and LOVE it! The Duravent DVL pipe cracks and pops a good bit while its warming up but calms down after a while which I guess is normal.

My house is around 1200 sq ft but I do have high vaulted ceilings. I'm in western KY so not a super cold climate and its a good match but if I were further north I'd probably go one size larger to be able to load more wood before going to bed. We've had some mid 20's nights and have gone to bed around 10:30 pm with the stoves temperature gauge around the two thirds mark and wake up with the stove out but still warm to hot to the touch and house temps in the 68 to 70 degree range with no supplemental electrical heat. My house is well insulated and I'll normally turn on the electric heat a few during the day for 15 or 20 minutes to bring the house temp up a tad but otherwise am using NO ELECTRIC heat which results in my electric bill for my house around $50 - $60 a month which is nice. I read where a lot of people don't care for the ash box underneath but I got one and am glad I did. Makes for easy removal of accumulated ash while still maintaining a layer of ash in the bottom of the stove.

Overall I just don't think you can go wrong with a Kuma. It may not be the fanciest looking stove but it is a HIGH QUALITY stove made by a smaller company that obviously puts quality at the top of their priority list. Highly recommended!!