Kuma owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

reaperman1

Aug 7, 2022
Minnesota
I'd like to hear from Kuma owners. Today I saw my first Kuma stoves at a nearby dealer. Looking online at their lineup, I was thinking a stove with a 2.5 firebox would be about the right size. Until I saw a Ashwood up close, man its big, too big for what I think I need. So I moved onto the Aspen model which seems about the proper size for my living area. My question is how far can these stoves be turned down to achieve the longest possible burn? I'm afraid if this baby is cruising at 500 degrees for more than a hour, my windows will be wide open. Even if its below zero which it often is in my part of the world (Minn). My upstairs is 1300 sg ft with approx 2/3's of it being the kitchen/dining/living room area. This is the same area a potential stove will be installed. I like the principle of the whole Kuma company and how it gives the impression of making a quality product it stands behind. What I wasn't real thrilled about is how they structure their prices. For instance, the base price for the Aspen is $2.7k, you want legs or a pedestal to set it on, another $500ish, you want a door, another $300. The total cost is approx $3400. The Aspen starts at $3300, the final cost with bare bones necessities with tax is 5k. Why not have a price for a base model with everything needed, than upgrades can be made from there. Maybe I'm being fussy, but the dealer (60 miles away) didnt tell be that when the price was quoted over the phone. A hours drive to see the stoves a put a sour taste in my mouth when the real prices were shown. Im still open to Kuma, there just isn't a lot of reviews online on their stoves. I know this is the real place get info. Thanks ahead for any input.

(hearsay for me, but ) Kuma is a great company, stands behind their products, talks and listens to customers, and makes good products. Here in the USA.

The Ashwood can turn down to about 11000 BTU per hr. and up to 30 000 BTU per hr. The Aspen goes from 10 600 to 32 000 BTU per hr. According to their owners manual (I can't seem to download the EPA test report).

This seems to be similar as the other US cat stoves from BK - if the numbers are comparable. This makes sense as the cat technology is similar.

Based on this I wouldn't think the bigger model is much different. Probably just gives longer burn times at its lowest output than the smaller model does.

I would not hesitate based on the small number of reviews; it's a small company but they are here (on hearth.com) very well respected and often praised.

I don't have a Kuma but a BK. So, hearsay, as I said at the start.

Kuma owner here. I received it as a hand me down and the local dealer closed shop a few years ago. I have the aspen, but the model prior to their updated version that is now on the website. I can crank down almost to close and get about a 5 hour burn. It’s a great little insert, and my first ever, but the fire box (and window) on the aspen is just not very big. That said, I can do a load at 9pm and still have a few coals by 5-6am so that stoking and loading in the morning doesn’t require a match. I can see on my thermostat history, though, that it stops putting out significant heat around 2-3am.

I put it in a *huge*, open great room though and it just wasn’t big enough for my space. No hesitations recommending it for your space, though!

How close are you to Duluth? Energy Plus sells Kuma and they had one burning on the floor when I was there last spring. I think it was their smaller unit and throwing out some serious heat on a higher air setting. I don’t remember the cost but sometimes dealers will sell the floor model for reduced price. They also sell Blaze King and Jotul. I looked at the Jotul F45 they had, almost bought it but found one for $400 less at a dealer in Hayward WI.

How close are you to Duluth? Energy Plus sells Kuma and they had one burning on the floor when I was there last spring. I think it was their smaller unit and throwing out some serious heat on a higher air setting. I don’t remember the cost but sometimes dealers will sell the floor model for reduced price. They also sell Blaze King and Jotul. I looked at the Jotul F45 they had, almost bought it but found one for $400 less at a dealer in Hayward WI.
Thanks for the heads up. Duluth is about 2.5 hrs away, but I'm always looking for an excuse to visit the north shore. Its one of my favorite places in Mn.

Reactions: Todd
I have the Alpine insert and I'm very happy with it. We can load it up before bed and still have plenty coals for a restart.

Reactions: Bluey
I'd like to hear from Kuma owners. Today I saw my first Kuma stoves at a nearby dealer. Looking online at their lineup, I was thinking a stove with a 2.5 firebox would be about the right size. Until I saw a Ashwood up close, man its big, too big for what I think I need. So I moved onto the Aspen model which seems about the proper size for my living area. My question is how far can these stoves be turned down to achieve the longest possible burn? I'm afraid if this baby is cruising at 500 degrees for more than a hour, my windows will be wide open. Even if its below zero which it often is in my part of the world (Minn). My upstairs is 1300 sg ft with approx 2/3's of it being the kitchen/dining/living room area. This is the same area a potential stove will be installed. I like the principle of the whole Kuma company and how it gives the impression of making a quality product it stands behind. What I wasn't real thrilled about is how they structure their prices. For instance, the base price for the Aspen is $2.7k, you want legs or a pedestal to set it on, another $500ish, you want a door, another $300. The total cost is approx $3400. The Aspen starts at $3300, the final cost with bare bones necessities with tax is 5k. Why not have a price for a base model with everything needed, than upgrades can be made from there. Maybe I'm being fussy, but the dealer (60 miles away) didnt tell be that when the price was quoted over the phone. A hours drive to see the stoves a put a sour taste in my mouth when the real prices were shown. Im still open to Kuma, there just isn't a lot of reviews online on their stoves. I know this is the real place get info. Thanks ahead for any input.
Reaperman1, did I read in the BK thread that you have a wood furnace in your house also? If so have you checked out the Kuuma Vapor-Fire furnaces? Perhaps you are only interested in stoves now, but if you are wanting to heat the whole house and already have a furnace, perhaps this would be something you are interested in. Lots of info in the Boiler room forums on these, and they are made in MN. Happy stove shopping!

I have the Kuma Classic that I picked up in 2020. It keeps my house warm most days through the winter here in upstate NY. We keep our house a bit cooler, normally around 65. I have 2 German Shepherds that start complaining when it gets warmer. Kuma has always quickly answered any of my questions before/after the sale. My stove is in the basement of our 1400sqft ranch. I don't have the best setup with an exterior clay flu liner/brick chimney but it doesn't bother it one bit.

I know the price of things has changed since I got one 2 years ago but that seems high. Have you called around to other dealers?

I have the Kuma Classic that I picked up in 2020. It keeps my house warm most days through the winter here in upstate NY. We keep our house a bit cooler, normally around 65. I have 2 German Shepherds that start complaining when it gets warmer. Kuma has always quickly answered any of my questions before/after the sale. My stove is in the basement of our 1400sqft ranch. I don't have the best setup with an exterior clay flu liner/brick chimney but it doesn't bother it one bit.

I know the price of things has changed since I got one 2 years ago but that seems high. Have you called around to other dealers?
Thank you for your reply. Last week I ended up buying a BK boxer instead of a Kuma. I would most likely have got a Kuma but ran into what appears to be a good price on a BK boxer. I first saw the Boxer at the local dealer and thought it was a good looking stove with its large window and how high it sits on its pedestal. When I saw the price, 5k, I said to myself, nice stove, but not for me. I called a different dealer who deals in Kuma and BK. The salesman was giving me prices and mentioned the Boxer at 4k, but had a demo model on the floor he would sell me for $700 less. Knowing I was going to spend that much money on whatever I ended up choosing, I said I'd take it as long as it comes with a new warranty, etc. I havent picked it up yet, its 3 hrs away and I told the salesman he could keep it on the floor until I have time to get it. He had no issues with that.

Reactions: stoveliker
Awesome! Good luck. I upgraded from an old school woodstove and it's amazing how much less wood I burn in a year. I did make sure to get dry wood before making the switch which I'm sure has helped with the transition to the modern stove.