Kuma Wood Classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmull27216

Mar 5, 2007
Ok so its been a while since I posted .. Ive been burning for about 5 years and had a various number of stoves . I finally had the $ to purchase a new stove and decided on a kuma wood classic. I liked that they where made in USA and the claim of a 12 hour burn time just made me sleep better ......

Now you see I do have an issue or actaully a few questions someone may be able to answer

My burn time.. ( actaul heat coming from the stove? ) aprox 4 hours.
Stove fully packed ,dry hardwood ,draft closed .How do these manufactures rate burn times? Is it just hot coals? is it how long the stove will keep heat? Or is it just to get people to buy?

Next question(s) Does anyone have this same stove and if so ... What is your burn time? How big is the area it heats?

Small bit of info on what Im heating
Crazy as it may sound . Im heating a space that is aprox 700sq. some parts insulated and sheetrocked some parts not even sheetrocked ( some people have called it a chicken shack or a barn) Currently my house is underconstruction and will eventually be "fully insulated and sheetrocked" and I will expect the kuma to heat my area much better BUT for now this is what it is.

16 degrees outside 65 inside ...50% sheetrock 50% framing only

Manufactures burn times are all over the place but I think most will count it down to the last burning ember. I always figured burn time ends when I have enough coals to reload without the use of kindling or paper. What are your stove temps after that 4 hours? Many people feel a 300 degree stove top for steel stoves is a good time to reload.

Even just rolling some insulation between those bare studs and stapling up some plastic vapor barrier will help immensely.
How tall is your chimney? Assuming with only 700 sq ft you don't have a tall chimney with some crazy draft, but you said you're only heating 700. That sounds like there is more to the house.

Good suggestion. It's hard to heat a sieve. I spent a New England winter as a young lad in a basic cabin. I had to keep an Ashley sheet metal stove glowing red to stay warm and this was about 400 sq ft.

I guess considering burn time the time ....when there are no burning embers to restart the fire.... is the most logical answer.

I do not have a temapture guage as the last one I melted playing with one of my older stoves ..will be getting one but Im not sure if realy want to throw my money away at another one that will just stop working after a few months . Anyone know of a good guage to buy?

I have emailed Kuma customer service and got a response within a few days . Excellent customer service

Yes ! Im living basically in a shack I know insulation sheetrock ect will help ..(for those of who maybe wondering..Yes I plan on doing it) thats why I cant really give a full opinion of this stove ....however.... it has been keeping me warm using not as much wood as I used to a month ago using the old "The Furnance Works" wood boiler heating with convection only

Status
Not open for further replies.